A safety reminder... (emergency exit windows)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NY_Dutch

As the weather gets cooler, and those of us still using our RV's may be using more heating appliances, don't forget to give your emergency exit windows a try to make sure they'll open easily if needed. Today a neighbor asked me to show her how the exit window in her TT worked, and when I released the latches, I found the rubber gaskets were too stuck in place to allow the window to open without considerable force. I carefully released the gaskets with a putty knife and then wiped them with dry silicone that should keep them free for at least several years. I treat my exit windows annually, and it's a simple process that could be a life saver...

Sarge: Title modified for better response

Great reminder..I'm going to try mine tomorrow.  ( first time ever )

tx Dutch.

You're welcome, Tony. I've found the emergency exit window gasket stuck to some degree on every used RV I've tried over the years, and even some new ones. That's not something I want to deal with when a fire is burning my butt! ;)

Basic question, haven't purchased an RV yet...
I gather from your reminder that emergency windows are made to swing out but not "drop" out?  I guess I just assumed the whole thing would just fall away if/when you really needed to get out in an emergency.  Never thought about the fact you could test them.

Great advice, thanks!

There used to be some exit windows that could fall away when released, but I haven't seen any like that in recent times. They may be out there though, so use caution when first trying yours until you know which kind you have.

Well...good thing I don?t have the fall out kind  :eek: I open my emergency windows all the time for a nice breeze through the camper. Would have def caused a problem that first time. Didn?t know they made fall out ones.

rvannie23 said:
Well...good thing I don?t have the fall out kind  :eek: I open my emergency windows all the time for a nice breeze through the camper. Would have def caused a problem that first time. Didn?t know they made fall out ones.

With the emergency windows I've seen, opening the window doesn't give the same results as pulling (pushing, etc.) the red emergency handle -- two different operations.

We've had the typical awning-type exit window in the bedroom of 3 trailers now - the first two worked perfectly but this one sticks bad if it's not opened for maybe a couple of weeks. Annoying at the least but could be dangerous in the wrong situation, obviously. I like the dry lube idea - I'll have to pick some up in the spring. I need some for the corner jacks, anyway.

When I suggested checking the E-exit window to a friend, he said there was no point since there was no way he was going out it at his age. But he changed his mind when I mentioned that fire licking at your butt was a great motivator... ;)

Larry N. said:
With the emergency windows I've seen, opening the window doesn't give the same results as pulling (pushing, etc.) the red emergency handle -- two different operations.

Pushing the red tabbed handle is the only way to open mine. I guess as an ?emergency? you could push it past the little stopper lip and the entire window would hang freely but I?m not sure that would be helpful. Probably easier to just dive head/feet first and break through the screen. I?m sure the handle would naturally follow.

Another tip is - I cut a piece of wood to use as a prop to keep the window open during an exit situation.

The windows are heavy and will fall back down on you as you are trying to crawl out of it.
I put some Velcro on the stick so it's always near the bed and window.

Another tip is putting the bedspread part way out the window so that it covers the metal that you have to
crawl over while exiting the window.  Putting a bedspread out the window is much easier with a stick holding up
the window first.

Just make sure you make sure the window is locked properly before going down the road.  New replacements are about $350.

Back
Top Bottom