My new camera

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for the explanation, Tom. That takes a lot of processor. Very interesting approach to it.

Now, since "Enhanced" takes more grunt work, you lose that instant shutter speed of the default mode. But what you gain is the ability to take a good picture in an extremely challenging situation... usually where you have a wide range of lighting, or if you are trying to take a really dark or night shot.

So you also need to hold the camera steady for a longer time, to enable those extra pics to have a chance of matching (tripod anyone?  ;D)

Larry N. said:
Thanks for the explanation, Tom. That takes a lot of processor. Very interesting approach to it.

So you also need to hold the camera steady for a longer time, to enable those extra pics to have a chance of matching (tripod anyone?  ;D)
You are welcome Larry. It is very interesting that there is a processor chip in the phone that is not hooked up yet. It will take a software update to bring the chip to life. It is an 8 core system on a chip (SoC) that is going to be used for the HDR+ mode. My camera doesn't have the update yet but it should come at any time. It is a pretty healthy processor capable of 3 trillion operations per second. Now that is trillion with a T, not billion with a B. It is suppose to improve things quite a bit.

http://bgr.com/2017/10/18/pixel-2-specs-pixel-visual-core-camera-processor/

[quote author=SeilerBird]The shot you posted looks like it should have had the flash turned on.[/quote]

Agreed. I always forget to turn the flash on when using the camera in my phone  :-[

Tom said:
Agreed. I always forget to turn the flash on when using the camera in my phone  :-[
I do too. I try and look at each photo to see if a flash would help. But basically I learned that if you are photographing something closer than a few away the flash almost always helps. If nothing else it removes shadows from the subject that can be distracting.

Understood. In this case, the result wasn't critical; I just needed to know where the audio input jacks were, so I could show someone who's borrowed my DVD player and will be leading singing in my place at Tuesday's luncheon meeting. At this time every year, our retired guys club sings the marching songs of all 5 branches of the service; But this year my other half is having surgery on the day of the meeting. Our alternate lead singer will use the facility's audio system, whereas I normally drag my own along.

I am shocked. I went to one of my ukulele meetups this morning and found out we are going to be riding in the Christmas parade just like last year. We decided to do the exact same medley as last year. Deck the Halls, Frosty the Snowman and Rockin' Around the Xmas Tree. They passed out lyric sheets with chords and we practiced it many times. But I have a problem. I am playing bass again this year and I had a hard time last year practicing the medley because I could not find those songs on YouTube in the key we are playing them in (C) and following the arrangement we decided on. So I asked if we could shoot a quick video after class and everyone agreed it was a good idea. I volunteered to video it with my new Pixel and the results shocked me. I wasn't planning on doing any videoing so I didn't bring my tripod so I had to sit still and video the 4 minute song. The shocking thing is how well the IOS and EOS worked. The image is rock solid. It almost looks like it was shot using a tripod. The only problem I had was since it was my first video with this camera I didn't get the framing right so everything is off to the left a bit. I watched this on my 55 inch 4k TV and it looked exceptional. Hard to believe this was shot with a cell phone. The parade is December 2nd in Winter Park at 8 am in case anyone is in the area and wants to come and throw money at us. ;D

https://youtu.be/Y-E3Ft7Fd7o

Thanks for sharing Tom.

Great video from that camera.

The uke group needs some lower register voices but, of course, it's tough for us (looow register) folks to sing in the key of C. Sometimes we just have to sing an octave lower.

Thanks Tom - We aren't much of singers that is for sure. The group is composed of 90% women so we don't have a lot of bass. My voice is shot so I don't even bother to sing anymore. The very best part of this group is the pot luck we have every month. The food is fabulous. :D

Larry N. said:
Mighty stable, Tom -- that actually was handheld? Wow!
Yes it was. You can see that it was handheld because I slowly move the camera around. Not moved around on purpose, it is just hard to keep the exact same frame for four minutes. My tripod gets very little use already so now it will become extinct. :)

Both of my cats were staring out the window waiting for a squirrel to run down the tree and I took out my Pixel and waited for a squirrel to show up. I got tired of waiting so I just snapped a shot anyway to see how well the HDR was working. Then I took a shot with my Fuji bridge camera without HDR. Here is the results:

Attachments

• Pixel HDR.jpg
    Pixel HDR.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 38
  • Fuji.jpg
    Fuji.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 36
Larry N. said:
Mighty stable, Tom -- that actually was handheld? Wow!
Larry - Google is finally offering an explanation of how their anti-shake systems work. It is really tough to read because it is very technical. So if your head starts to explode while reading it just scroll on down to the motorcycle footage to blow your mind.

https://research.googleblog.com/2017/11/fused-video-stabilization-on-pixel-2.html

Wow! Thanks for the link, Tom. Their explanation makes sense, and covers some aspects of motion/blur I'd never thought/heard of. This means they have a LOT of computing power in there just for the camera. And those last two videos (motorcycle and sand dunes) are incredible.

Now if they'd add 28mm-250mm (35mm equivalent) zoom (or better) and manual adjustments, it'd be the closest thing to a perfect camera (except for viewfinder--I still need one of those, too) I could imagine. But it'd be super for my bicycle. I always get some bounce (not as bad as the mc vid, though) when a camera is mounted on the handlebars. But expensive...

Larry N. said:
Wow! Thanks for the link, Tom. Their explanation makes sense, and covers some aspects of motion/blur I'd never thought/heard of. This means they have a LOT of computing power in there just for the camera. And those last two videos (motorcycle and sand dunes) are incredible.

Now if they'd add 28mm-250mm (35mm equivalent) zoom (or better) and manual adjustments, it'd be the closest thing to a perfect camera (except for viewfinder--I still need one of those, too) I could imagine. But it'd be super for my bicycle. I always get some bounce (not as bad as the mc vid, though) when a camera is mounted on the handlebars. But expensive...
Expensive but the good news is new technology always filters down and becomes cheaper. I remember my first VCR costs $1200 wholesale in the mid seventies. 4K TVs are now on sale for under $400 for a 55 inch set.

Nice shot, Tom. You captured that fog mighty well.

Larry

It occurs to me, too late: I should have said, "Your picture is all fogged up, can't see much past the shore."  ::)

I love the new portrait mode. It works very well. I think Tarzan is looking for some attention. ::)

Attachments

• Tarzan portrait.jpg
    Tarzan portrait.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 28
LarsMac said:
Wow!

I am impressed.
I'm starting to shop for my next phone. Need that one on my list
This is a great time to be shopping for a phone, there are many great ones available besides the Pixel. The iPhone X, LG V30, Samsung Note and S8 and a few others. You really can't go wrong, they are all equipped with excellent cameras right about the same level as mine. I bought the Pixel because I am a dedicated Googleaholic and because I wanted to use Google's Project Fi. If you don't know about Fi then read thisother thread of mine:

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,110136.msg992137.html#msg992137

Back
Top Bottom