My new camera

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Larry N. said:
Not needing an SD card? Then that obviously means online storage, which I don't want. Nor do I want it to automatically upload pics to my computer -- that's something I want to control for myself each time.

As for things no SLR can do, you may be talking about certain processing things, but my SLR can zoom in tight, roughly 8x with the current lens, without loss of quality, and it has a better lens in the first place. And... well, you know all the benny's of an actual camera, but since the convenience and certain features are important to you, then that's the way for you to go. It just doesn't apply to everyone, as some of your posts tend to indicate.
I can't imagine why anyone would not want to have their photos automatically uploaded to the Internet. It is way cheaper, much faster and a lot easier then the traditional pull out the SD card, insert it into the computer and then wait for all the photos to be uploaded. I just open my app and all the photos are there. And the big advantage is that they are also on my TV, my backup phone, my laptop and my Chromebook.

But when I say that cell phones can do things that SLRs can't I am not just talking about processing. Android now includes Lens, which identifies items that you point the camera at. There are countless mostly free apps that add a bunch of different functions to the camera. You can't change the way a DSLR shoots at all. You are stuck with the options you get from the factory. I can email a photo directly from my phone in about 10 seconds. I can post directly to Facebook (or any other social media) right from the camera. But for me the best part about my cell phone camera is the fact the images that come out of the camera are so incredible I haven't used Lightroom or Photoshop in years. No need. The photos that come out of my Pixel never need any post processing. I am very satisfied with about 95% of the shots I get. The time I save not having to upload and not having to post process is amazing.

I can't imagine why anyone would not want to have their photos automatically uploaded to the Internet. It is way cheaper, much faster and a lot easier then the traditional pull out the SD card, insert it into the computer and then wait for all the photos to be uploaded. I just open my app and all the photos are there. And the big advantage is that they are also on my TV, my backup phone, my laptop and my Chromebook.

First, I don't want my pix on the internet, except certain specific ones that I decide to post somewhere. Second, I don't want my pix all those places you list -- only on my main computer -- unless I choose to copy a specific pic to someplace.

All those things you mention are not something I want to do, Tom.

You can't change the way a DSLR shoots at all. You are stuck with the options you get from the factory.

I'm not even sure what that means. My DSLR does what I want it to do, as a still camera. BTW I tried to take a video with it of an RC model airplane in flight, and I couldn't see enough in the screen on the back to even tell where the airplane was (can't use the viewfinder on video), I could hardly even see the surroundings. I have the exact same problem with my pocket computer, with the added limitation that you can't zoom in (this is part of why I have a good camcorder). But the viewfinder (actual through the lens, not electronic) lets me do stills without interference from ambient lighting, and I can zoom in tight (a real zoom, not electronic).

Of course you know about those capabilities, Tom, but your needs seem to be different from mine.

Larry I am sorry if I am offending you. I am not trying to convince you to switch cameras. I am merely stating my reasons for using a cell phone camera.

I bought one of these several years ago for the OH's Christmas. He uses it all the time and especially when taking video.

https://cvp.com/product/zacuto_usa_z-find-pro232?gclid=Cj0KCQiAoY7VBRDtARIsAHWoO-ItF0EvSzogFPPk_g39UjKORf9pWOyDFcZayZpB9HMFOlCAoSIau84aAuk-EALw_wcB

SeilerBird said:
Larry I am sorry if I am offending you. I am not trying to convince you to switch cameras. I am merely stating my reasons for using a cell phone camera.

You're not offending me, Tom, but when you say something like, "I can't imagine why anyone would not want to have their photos automatically uploaded to the Internet," along with much else you said, it sounded as if there was no other way to go, so I tried to give a different perspective. Perhaps a slight change of wording on both our parts could make this more comfortable in both directions. 

jackiemac said:
I bought one of these several years ago for the OH's Christmas. He uses it all the time and especially when taking video.

https://cvp.com/product/zacuto_usa_z-find-pro232?gclid=Cj0KCQiAoY7VBRDtARIsAHWoO-ItF0EvSzogFPPk_g39UjKORf9pWOyDFcZayZpB9HMFOlCAoSIau84aAuk-EALw_wcB

Although it's a neat looking gadget, that's over half the cost of my Nikon, Jackie. I'd prefer to add some money and have a proper camcorder, one in which I could also zoom without jerking, have constant auto-focus and do some other things that are marginal at best on the Nikon (video wise). But it's a neat gadget I've never come across before. Thanks.

Larry N. said:
Although it's a neat looking gadget, that's over half the cost of my Nikon, Jackie. I'd prefer to add some money and have a proper camcorder, one in which I could also zoom without jerking, have constant auto-focus and do some other things that are marginal at best on the Nikon (video wise). But it's a neat gadget I've never come across before. Thanks.
Steve uses his canon and various lenses a lot and really enjoys it so it gets a lot of use so it was worth it  ☺

SeilerBird said:
For those of you who do not know me (you are lucky) I am a retired wildlife photographer and three years ago I bought an iPhone 6 and sold my DSLR stuff. At that point I started using my iPhone for about 99% of my shots. I kept my 50x zoom bridge camera for the really long telephoto shots since cell phone cameras can't do telephoto yet but I rarely use it anymore. I only lasted a year with the iPhone and got out because I just did not fit in the Apple ecosystem. I then returned to Android with a Samsung S6 but only kept it a few months because I did not like the Samsung universe. I replaced it with an LG G4 that I have been using for the last year and a half. It was getting long in the tooth and when Google announced the new Pixel cameras it got my attention. I immediately ordered the Pixel 2 XL.

I still haul around way too much DSLR gear but given I always have my phone with me, that gets a lot more use! I'm still clinging to my "old" Galaxy Note 4 since that was the last version in that line that had a replaceable battery. But I have been keeping an eye on the new Pixels. It's pretty obvious from all your great shots that they've come a long way with smartphone photography.

Hard to believe that I was once envious of a friend's Sony Mavica with it's amazing 0.3 MP resolution images captured to an astounding ;D 1.4 MB floppy disc.

[quote author=jymbee]... I was once envious of a friend's Sony Mavica with it's amazing 0.3 MP resolution images captured to an astounding ;D 1.4 MB floppy disc.[/quote]

I remember those days  ;D

Very nice images Tom, I like the ones of your kitties. The quality of cell phone cameras now is amazing. I have an iPhone 7. It does pretty well. This is my 3rd iPhone and my least favorite. When the time comes to replace it I may look at other options. The Pixel sounds like a very nice device.

Debra17 said:
Very nice images Tom, I like the ones of your kitties. The quality of cell phone cameras now is amazing. I have an iPhone 7. It does pretty well. This is my 3rd iPhone and my least favorite. When the time comes to replace it I may look at other options. The Pixel sounds like a very nice device.
Thank you for your kind words Debra. It is nice to see someone is actually sticking to the original subject matter.

Larry N. said:
Not needing an SD card? Then that obviously means online storage, which I don't want. Nor do I want it to automatically upload pics to my computer -- that's something I want to control for myself each time.

As for things no SLR can do, you may be talking about certain processing things, but my SLR can zoom in tight, roughly 8x with the current lens, without loss of quality, and it has a better lens in the first place. And... well, you know all the benny's of an actual camera, but since the convenience and certain features are important to you, then that's the way for you to go. It just doesn't apply to everyone, as some of your posts tend to indicate.

We think a lot alike.  Phones are for taking pictures.  Cameras are for photography.  There is a difference, in my opinion.

SeilerBird said:
I have seen no problems with burn in yet.
Well I finally started seeing some issues with burn in. All OLEDs will end up with some burn in eventually and my TV and my phone are no exception. I noticed that when I looked at a very dark grey screen I could see a very faint outline of some burned in images. Very faint and not noticeable at any other time but it still bugged me. Then a miracle occurred. My phone stopped making calls. If I dialed a number I would get a message on the screen telling me the network was not available. I played with the settings and could not get a phone call out so I started a chat session with Google support. After a half an hour of three different support techs they finally admitted it was a hardware problem and Google wanted to exchange my phone for a new one. I agreed and they sent me a brand new phone complete without any burn in at all. I have always felt like the touch screen was not as touchy as it could be. Many times I had to touch the screen multiple times to get it to accept the input. My phone arrived yesterday and besides no burn in and the screen is much better at detecting touches, and it makes calls. The ironic thing about this is the fact that my phone died on October 31st. I purchased the phone on November 1st, 2017. So the two year warranty would expire the next day.

Bert63 said:
We think a lot alike.  Phones are for taking pictures.  Cameras are for photography.  There is a difference, in my opinion.
That was in the horse and buggy days. You can't tell by looking at a photo if it was taken with a cell phone or a 'real' camera.

Back
Top Bottom