Limitations for launching boat with an RV???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oldryder

Soon to be rookie RV'er doing pre-purchase research ...

What are the limitations for launching boat with an RV?  I once saw an RV'er explode his tranny (trans fluid all over the ramp) launching a boat on a particularly steep ramp on a Core of Engineers lake in GA (Walter F. George Reservoir) that was at a very low level.

I expect to be pulling a 17' fishing boat on occasion and wonder about RV's and ramps given the incident I observed.

thx to anyone taking the time to educate a rookie.

Mark in MN

A 17 foot fishing boat will likely be towable by most/all class A and class C motorhomes. Class B vans will require you to check their towing capacity v the weight of boat and trailer.

The biggest problem is that the trailer is often not very visible, though a good rear camera can help a lot with that.  The rest of the problem stems from the coach being a [typically] long wheel base vehicle, which changes the maneuvering geometry substantially vs backing the trailer with a car + trailer. Takes some getting used to!

There is no particular reason that trailering would blow a transmission or anything like that, as long as the tow ratings are observed. Most motorhomes can pull at least 4000 lb and many are 5000. Diesel pushers are typically rated to tow 10,000-15,000 lbs.

I towed a 20 foot boat with a 29 foot class A frequently for many years. Reversing down a launch ramp required only mirrors. If I could see any part of the boat or trailer, I knew the rig wasn't straight. Assuming the ramp is straight (most are), the trick is to pull forward far enough to be sure the rig is straight. Keep an eye on mirrors as you reverse. The long wheelbase and long overhang behind rear wheels on a Class A will make it quite easy to control reversing down the ramp.

We have a short article in our forum library on trailering a boat behind a motorhome.

I have yet to tow our little 18ft run-about behind the MH.
I have this image in the back of my mind, of an old F-150 my dad had when i was a teenager, it's single rear wheel on a standard diff spinning to get traction up a long slippery ramp.
I'd feel so much better about the first few launches being at one of those little short ramps at a lake, where there is no tidal range, and the MH would sit level while the trailer in in the water

In more that 30 years towing small boats (16-25 feet) with an SUV or class A, I've yet to lose traction on a ramp. I don't believe I've ever engaged 4WD or AWD on one of our SUVs (Bronco and 2 Suburbans) on a boat ramp. We have a small (4-5 feet) tidal variation on local waterways.

I don't think I have either.  It was just dad's truck towing a 20ft center console welcraft.  That dog of a long bed F-150 only had one wheel drive powered by an inline 6, and was shoed with some narrow bias ply tires. 3 on the tree.  He had that truck round about the time I turned 16.  I could barely drive that thing.  the clutch was so stiff I had to get out of the seat to press it....not enough weight, and it was all I could do to make a hard turn.... it had power nothing.... the only thing good were those little triangular shaped side windows that really funneled in the wind.
It was plenty truck to tow the boat, just didn't have enough stick to the road with those narrow tires to pull the boat up a slippery ramp.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom