It is supposed to get real cold tonight in SE PA-better winterize

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

martin2340

Tonight low of 30 tomorrow night down to 18 degrees I was putting off winterizing for a few more weeks but looks like I need to get to work.

Getting down to low to mid 20's overnight Friday to Saturday morning here in Lower Slower.  Drained freshwater tank two nights ago, and blew out water lines last night. Gonna go dump black and gray tanks tonight. Pain in the butt to do all this for just two nights of cold weather. We plan on using the motorhome Thanksgiving weekend. We were planning on asphalt dry camping, but may end up in a campground instead. It all depends on the weather.

We picked a great weekend to head out of NEPA and go to State College.  Been keeping the furnace at 55 during the night to avoid winterizing.  Going to need a lot of propane!

They're saying low teens or single digits for us. Finally gave in and turned up the heat in the house last night

HappyWanderer said:
They're saying low teens or single digits for us. Finally gave in and turned up the heat in the house last night

Boy am I glad I left when I did. If it's any consolation for you northerners, we also have a cold front coming thru here in FL. Suppose to be only in the mid to upper 70's Fri & Sat.  But watch out next week. Tues and Weds it's going to be a blistering 75. It's funny to watch the locals here. They'll be breaking out the hoodies, sweatshirts, hat's and gloves.

MikeNNRV said:
I am heading to central Ohio where the forecasted low is 25F.  Can I camp safely in a travel trailer?  I have no heaters for the water tanks or lines

Only if your rig is winterized. You can use bottled water for drinking. You can also fill a handful of gallon milk jugs (or the equivalent) with tap water, for traveling and/or camping, even for washing you and/or dishes, as well as drinking if you like the water that goes in. But unheated water lines (and for longer times, the tanks too) can get to be a problem in those temps.

The gray and black tanks, though, especially if you've put a bit of the pink antifreeze in them, shouldn't be a problem if you're not looking at weeks below freezing.

I'm assuming above that you actually have no heat at all on many of your water lines and all of your tanks. If you have an enclosed belly on your trailer, especially if it has a heat duct into the belly, then things are somewhat better off.

But you didn't mention what your TT is, so I generalized.

I use to camp once in a while in the winter years ago. We kept a 100 cup coffee urn on the counter for hot water and we use to flush the toilet with straight windshield washer fluid. Then visit the dump station on the way out unless we were connected to CG sewage.

We go to a CG in North Central PA for hunting season in late November early December and the CG keeps the water on during the 2 weeks but require the campers to turn the water off when leaving the CG. The water comes from underground. We keep the heat set at 70 degrees overnight and have a supplemental electric heater plus fireplace. We never, I am keeping my fingers crossed, had a problem with freezing. I keep the faucets open while the TT is unoccupied during the day and water is turned off.

It was 11 d this morning. I have the furnace in MH set at 55 thermometer remote in water bay says about 45. The coach is in its pole barn uninsulated. Leaving for Fl Tues afternoon

Larry N. said:
Only if your rig is winterized. You can use bottled water for drinking. You can also fill a handful of gallon milk jugs (or the equivalent) with tap water, for traveling and/or camping, even for washing you and/or dishes, as well as drinking if you like the water that goes in. But unheated water lines (and for longer times, the tanks too) can get to be a problem in those temps.

The gray and black tanks, though, especially if you've put a bit of the pink antifreeze in them, shouldn't be a problem if you're not looking at weeks below freezing.

I'm assuming above that you actually have no heat at all on many of your water lines and all of your tanks. If you have an enclosed belly on your trailer, especially if it has a heat duct into the belly, then things are somewhat better off.

But you didn't mention what your TT is, so I generalized.

We made it through the weekend ok by following your advice; jugs of water and none in the fresh water tank, water heater or pump.  We were able to dump ok late Sunday morning.
Electric space heater, layers of clothes and blankets, and ducted furnace kept the people ok during the nights.

Back
Top Bottom