New owner question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

postmandug

We just bought our first TT about two weeks ago. I have winterized it already but will be keeping an Edenpure heater in it for the winter at around
55  degrees or so. It IS plugged in to shore power. My question concerns the refrigerator. Should we turn it off or leave it on? If off, should we open the doors?

Thanks!

You can certainly leave it on, if you wish, but if you do you'll want to be certain that the TT is level to avoid damage to the fridge. If it has an ice maker, you'll want that line winterized, too, since it's likely exposed to the outside. But for storage, I prefer (even with my residential fridge) to turn it off. If it's off you'll definitely want to leave the doors open, at least a little, to prevent mold.

Leave the refer off and the doors open.
As for the heater?  Not really a good idea.  Better depending on your location might be a dehumidifier.  Here in the PNW I find a large dehumidifier makes a world of difference.  First trip used to always be a wet feeling bed.  Now, nice and dry.

We leave the fridge off and doors open. We don't run any heat unless we are using it. No dehumidifier either.

donn said:
Leave the refer off and the doors open.
As for the heater?  Not really a good idea.  Better depending on your location might be a dehumidifier.  Here in the PNW I find a large dehumidifier makes a world of difference.  First trip used to always be a wet feeling bed.  Now, nice and dry.

While the heater isn't needed if the rig is winterized, most areas of the country, especially in winter, don't have that humidity problem. Large chunks of the country won't benefit (in winter, at least) from a dehumidifier -- in fact it might freeze up (not good) in cold weather in a lot of the country, at least without heat. Wet bed? Wow!

Of course I'm in Colorado, where it's usually relatively dry, but I've lived across the midwest, even in Ohio and Pennsylvania, and haven't experienced your described conditions.

So winter needs vary with the area.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom