Ok to camp in cold weather?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chet

Good morning, going to be high teens overnight the next couple of days here in central VA. Ive had this class A motor home since April, learning about it as I go, and from this forum. I've planned one last camping trip this weekend before winterizing. Will living in the motor home, running the furnace and using the water keep my plumbing from freezing? Or should I forego the trip and winterizing now?

You will be using copious amounts of propane since a heat pump won't work in those temperatures. Condensation inside will be a major issue but it can be managed. Your plumbing bay should have a small electric heater (I use one when we will be at or below about 30 degrees for more than a day or two). If you have adequate shore power, you can run one or two electric heaters inside which will save propane and prevent some condensation.

In short, yes you can camp in those temperatures with the given caveats.

I've found that running the heat takes care of most of my condensation problems.
I also use 2 space heaters on low power at opposite ends of the rv.

Wow... not going to have shore power, so space heaters are not an option. Im ok using propane and suppose I?m hoping the heated coach will prevent any freezing of lines during the nights of cold temps?  Or better to forego camping this weekend and winterize? Thanks for your help for this nervous newbee!

Your propane furnace probably has a small duct leading to the plumbing bay but you would have to verify with Winnebago Owner Relations. If I were you, I would not want to drycamp for the first time in a new RV in freezing weather. You should have an idea of propane usage in a controlled situation, i.e., on shore power so you could use electric space heaters if needed. This just sounds like a setup for failure.

Ok thanks for your responses... we won?t be too far from home so if it gets too cold or propane is an issue we can hop on home. Sounds like the comfort is more an issue than freezing water lines. I?m ready with the antifreeze if the freezing temps last longer than forecasted... (and, i appreciate this forum?s resources!) -Chet

We just got back from 2 weeks in those conditions in Minnesota. We did use a full tank of propane. No problems with freeze up while running propane furnace. We've never had condensation problems except on the windshield. Park in the sun. This should be a beautiful time to camp in your area. Go for it.

Thanks! Just a follow up... We camped, and didn't have any issues with plumbing freezing, as we were running the furnace which seemed to keep things warm enough. Our problem was with battery life. Although my rig has new deep cycle batteries, I found we did need to run the generator more than I expected. We decided we'd been fine w shore power, so may be more reluctant in choosing to dry camping in the future. Regardless, the lakeside campsite was beautiful! Since then I've winterized the rig, and hope to get to Florida at the first of the year...  and put this cold weather worries behind me!  -Chet

Chet said:
Thanks! Just a follow up... We camped, and didn't have any issues with plumbing freezing, as we were running the furnace which seemed to keep things warm enough. Our problem was with battery life. Although my rig has new deep cycle batteries, I found we did need to run the generator more than I expected. We decided we'd been fine w shore power, so may be more reluctant in choosing to dry camping in the future. Regardless, the lakeside campsite was beautiful! Since then I've winterized the rig, and hope to get to Florida at the first of the year...  and put this cold weather worries behind me!  -Chet

Come onnnnnn down. Weather has been great.

Chet said:

The furnace blower does take a lot of power. The batteries that come with most new motorhomes aren't true deep cycle batteries but Marine/RV batteries that are meant to be able to provide power as well as able to start vehicles. When it comes time to replace, replace with true deep cycle batteries. You could also add batteries for more capacity.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom