EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: It is supposed to get real cold tonight in SE PA-better winterize  (Read 438 times)

martin2340

• ---
Tonight low of 30 tomorrow night down to 18 degrees I was putting off winterizing for a few more weeks but looks like I need to get to work.
Joe & Mari from Sanatoga PA
2010 F-150 Lariat 4X4 Heavy Duty Tow package(gone 7-17)
2017 F-250 Lariat 4X4 6.7 turbo diesel
2014 Sunset Trail 32rl
2002 Pearl White Road King Classic
Homebase: SE PA Sanatoga I can see the Limerick Power Plant from here

kdbgoat

• ---
Re: It is supposed to get real cold tonight in SE PA-better winterize
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 07:54:55 AM »
Getting down to low to mid 20's overnight Friday to Saturday morning here in Lower Slower.  Drained freshwater tank two nights ago, and blew out water lines last night. Gonna go dump black and gray tanks tonight. Pain in the butt to do all this for just two nights of cold weather. We plan on using the motorhome Thanksgiving weekend. We were planning on asphalt dry camping, but may end up in a campground instead. It all depends on the weather.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

richtdu89

• ---
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 08:12:36 AM »
We picked a great weekend to head out of NEPA and go to State College.  Been keeping the furnace at 55 during the night to avoid winterizing.  Going to need a lot of propane!
2016 Chevy 2500 Duramax
2016 Aspen Trail 2780RLS

HappyWanderer

• ---
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 10:49:57 AM »
They're saying low teens or single digits for us. Finally gave in and turned up the heat in the house last night
I don't have gray hair. I have wisdom highlights.

Rene T

• ---
  • Great being on the right side of the grass
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 11:08:57 AM »
They're saying low teens or single digits for us. Finally gave in and turned up the heat in the house last night

Boy am I glad I left when I did. If it's any consolation for you northerners, we also have a cold front coming thru here in FL. Suppose to be only in the mid to upper 70's Fri & Sat.  But watch out next week. Tues and Weds it's going to be a blistering 75. It's funny to watch the locals here. They'll be breaking out the hoodies, sweatshirts, hat's and gloves.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 11:14:17 AM by Rene T »
Rene & Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 11:33:58 AM »
Yep, it be getting down into the 60s here in Florida. ;D
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
My new Pixel camera:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/rMSw5eVkCfKuuEOP2
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

MikeNNRV

• ---
  • former tent camper
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 11:39:05 AM »
I am heading to central Ohio where the forecasted low is 25F.  Can I camp safely in a travel trailer?  I have no heaters for the water tanks or lines
Virginia is for Lovers
current: 2006 Cherokee 25DD
former: 2001 Coleman Sedona pop up

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 12:45:19 PM »
I am heading to central Ohio where the forecasted low is 25F.  Can I camp safely in a travel trailer?  I have no heaters for the water tanks or lines

Only if your rig is winterized. You can use bottled water for drinking. You can also fill a handful of gallon milk jugs (or the equivalent) with tap water, for traveling and/or camping, even for washing you and/or dishes, as well as drinking if you like the water that goes in. But unheated water lines (and for longer times, the tanks too) can get to be a problem in those temps.

The gray and black tanks, though, especially if you've put a bit of the pink antifreeze in them, shouldn't be a problem if you're not looking at weeks below freezing.

I'm assuming above that you actually have no heat at all on many of your water lines and all of your tanks. If you have an enclosed belly on your trailer, especially if it has a heat duct into the belly, then things are somewhat better off.

But you didn't mention what your TT is, so I generalized.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL
  de N8GGG

Rene T

• ---
  • Great being on the right side of the grass
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2017, 01:24:50 PM »
I use to camp once in a while in the winter years ago. We kept a 100 cup coffee urn on the counter for hot water and we use to flush the toilet with straight windshield washer fluid. Then visit the dump station on the way out unless we were connected to CG sewage.
Rene & Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

martin2340

• ---
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2017, 02:57:32 PM »
We go to a CG in North Central PA for hunting season in late November early December and the CG keeps the water on during the 2 weeks but require the campers to turn the water off when leaving the CG. The water comes from underground. We keep the heat set at 70 degrees overnight and have a supplemental electric heater plus fireplace. We never, I am keeping my fingers crossed, had a problem with freezing. I keep the faucets open while the TT is unoccupied during the day and water is turned off.
Joe & Mari from Sanatoga PA
2010 F-150 Lariat 4X4 Heavy Duty Tow package(gone 7-17)
2017 F-250 Lariat 4X4 6.7 turbo diesel
2014 Sunset Trail 32rl
2002 Pearl White Road King Classic
Homebase: SE PA Sanatoga I can see the Limerick Power Plant from here

steveblonde

• ---
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2017, 08:04:44 PM »
Were suppossed to get a high tomorrow of 2 degrees Celcius thats 34 F it was minus 27 celcius the other night
2015 Voltage 3305 Toy Hauler - loaded
2017 Ford Escape my Daily driver - first Ford in 25 yrs
2017 Black on Black F350 Diesel Dually loaded (First Ford Truck after 17 GMs) 5200lbs cargo/weight capacity named Kong

" If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much space"
From Canada Eh?

Robert K

• ---
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2017, 05:53:15 PM »
It was 11 d this morning. I have the furnace in MH set at 55 thermometer remote in water bay says about 45. The coach is in its pole barn uninsulated. Leaving for Fl Tues afternoon
Bob&Sandy
96 Safari Serengeti
2011 jeep wrangler
Western New York

MikeNNRV

• ---
  • former tent camper
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2017, 11:27:37 AM »
Only if your rig is winterized. You can use bottled water for drinking. You can also fill a handful of gallon milk jugs (or the equivalent) with tap water, for traveling and/or camping, even for washing you and/or dishes, as well as drinking if you like the water that goes in. But unheated water lines (and for longer times, the tanks too) can get to be a problem in those temps.

The gray and black tanks, though, especially if you've put a bit of the pink antifreeze in them, shouldn't be a problem if you're not looking at weeks below freezing.

I'm assuming above that you actually have no heat at all on many of your water lines and all of your tanks. If you have an enclosed belly on your trailer, especially if it has a heat duct into the belly, then things are somewhat better off.

But you didn't mention what your TT is, so I generalized.

We made it through the weekend ok by following your advice; jugs of water and none in the fresh water tank, water heater or pump.  We were able to dump ok late Sunday morning.
Electric space heater, layers of clothes and blankets, and ducted furnace kept the people ok during the nights.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 11:29:25 AM by MikeNNRV »
Virginia is for Lovers
current: 2006 Cherokee 25DD
former: 2001 Coleman Sedona pop up

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2017, 05:42:38 PM »
I'm glad it worked out for you, and thanks for the update.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL
  de N8GGG

Hosted by Over The Network