Oven insulation, and rodents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blw2

A while back I had a problem with a small rat....o maybe it was a big mouse....
anyway, I cought one and no more..... after some time of no mire signs, i cleaned out the place thoroughly.  I guess it was due anyway.

I have kept a couple traps and a bucket trap in there since, and have seen zero signs of any more...

My question....
the bugger hadn't been in there very long, but I did find a good sized wad of insulation, white stuff that could have only come for the oven.  It was in a cabinet near the oven down at floor level under the drawer.  No hair, droppings, or signs of living in it so it seems to be fresh...which was good.

It was probably about like a small bathroom waste can mostly full as it was fluffed up (or one of those plastic grocery bags)......compressed it wouldn't have been much volume, but it's more than just a fluff or two....
I know I should pull the oven out and have a look...
but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Realistically, how bad of a problem do you think it might be?
it's an Atwood RV-1735 BGP

I'm fairly comfortable that I don't have any noteworth gas leaks

I doubt mice will eat Copper gas lines.  Rubber is a different story.  If you had a leak, I think it would be obvious.

How often do you use the oven?  My concern, if used much, would be overheating and possibly igniting surrounding cabinetry.

It seems to be uncommon for a single rodent to be making a home in your RV.

The question is how did the one you caught get in?  If it didn't walk in the door then there most likely is an opening somewhere
in less you found it and already sealed it up.

I guess the only way to be sure would be to pull the oven.  OR at least turn the oven on very high and see if
anything comes running out.  I would stand (or sit) there the whole time the oven was on......

don't use the oven much at all....
my thoughts too were concerns about heat getting to the cabinets
but thinking more likely it might just be a bit less efficient baking.

and yes, I too think it unlikely to be just one.  They were cleaning out a barn nearby and I'm sure that they were disturbed from there.
Fortunately, I think I found the signs of them pretty soon after they moved in....maybe only a week or so at most.....of course they could have been in much longer before, but there wasn't a lot of droppings or sign in the big scheme of things..... & knock on wood I've found no more since.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom