Water Heater Bypass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rbailey238

I have a 2017 Palomino Columbus 383fb.  I have having difficulty locating the water heater bypass valve.  As near as I can find, it may be located on the back of the tank.  Only problem, I would have to take apart the whole side of the storage compartment to access it.  This side also contains several other components that will make this very difficult.  Does anyone have any helpful suggestions?

Thanks,

Cur a square hole in the wall big enough to gain access then reinstall the door with hinges for future maintenance.

You shouldnt have to destroy anything to get to the bypass. It is put there to help winterize the rv. My old coach it was in the same bay as my pump and other stuff. My current coach, I have to remove a drawer under the closet. This allows me to see the back of the water tank. This is where my bypass is located. Are you sure there is not an access to the back of it.

muskoka guy said:
You shouldnt have to destroy anything to get to the bypass. It is put there to help winterize the rv. My old coach it was in the same bay as my pump and other stuff. My current coach, I have to remove a drawer under the closet. This allows me to see the back of the water tank. This is where my bypass is located. Are you sure there is not an access to the back of it.

Last year, my neighbor here in this campground lost his hot water and it was obvious the outlet check valve failed. I looked all over trying to gain access to the back of the heater. I ended up by cutting a 1' square hole in the compartment wall so I could get to the check valve. Yes, I even looked up from the bottom side of the rig. This RV was a FL fifth wheel so it never needed to be winterized.

There is probably a removable panel to access it. May need hand tools, but you should not have to destroy anything. Removing a drawer or a back panel in a cabinet is common as well.  The usual location is on the back side of the heater where the water lines enter/exit, but a few rigs may have a remote bypass somewhere else, e.g. by the water pump or tank fill.

Back
Top Bottom