How Hard / Worth Fixing Damage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

txaggie929

Hi all,

Have come across a travel trailer that I can prob get for very cheap. Its a 2006 Skyline Nomad 300 LTD.  Belongs to a customer of mine who has gotten into bad health and they want to get rid of it.  Thing is, it's been in covered storage for 4 years and they have not been able to go out to it. 

Went out there today to look at it to find that some inconsiderate person had backed a trailer into the passenger rear corner of the trailer, and don't know how long its been like that for. Somewhere between 1-4 years. Luckily, it has been covered, so its not been exposed to water.

How hard is this to repair / is it even worth it?  Metal is torn & punctured and can see some plywood inside that appears to be grey.

Any help is greatly appreciated as I don't know much about these things.

Attachments

• Damage.JPG
    Damage.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 138
That doesn't look too bad at all. Without water damage, it would just be a matter of removing the corner trim from both sides of the trailer and removing the damaged piece of skin.  Start from the bottom and  remove the lowest panel first, then the next until you get to the damaged area. The aluminum should be available from any number of RV shops. Staple the new aluminum in place and replace the corner moldings. It looks like it would be worth fixing as long as the rest of the trailer is in decent condition.

Well, the rest of the overall condition is the other concern. Cosmetically, it?s in decent condition. Interior is good and clean. It will definitely need 4 new tires, no biggie. But with where it?s stored at, I have no way of testing the A/C unit, fridge, plumbing/septic. It all supposedly worked the last time it was used, but it?s been just sitting for 4 years untouched. But with the unknown, I could wind up being way in over my head in a hurry.

txaggie929 said:
Well, the rest of the overall condition is the other concern. Cosmetically, it?s in decent condition. Interior is good and clean. It will definitely need 4 new tires, no biggie. But with where it?s stored at, I have no way of testing the A/C unit, fridge, plumbing/septic. It all supposedly worked the last time it was used, but it?s been just sitting for 4 years untouched. But with the unknown, I could wind up being way in over my head in a hurry.
. Have you considered that with a portable generator, a twenty lb. propane bottle and fittings, and a few gallons rv antifreeze you could pretty much check out all those items.

Well, that's a good point.  But I don't own a portable generator, nor does anyone I know, so I guess I could maybe rent one.  How would I check the water supply lines to the sink and toilet though?  I understand the antifreeze for flushing.

The roof, go up on the roof and walk around to see if it has soft spots.  If you have to replace the roof it will cost more than the unit is worth.  "Believe me, I know.  Fridge is a pretty big ticket item also so I'd get some propane out to it and try things out. 

Check out this topic:

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,105338.0.html

Maybe it will provide some inspiration to take on the project you're looking at.

Back
Top Bottom