Should I be concerned? (With light coming through a roof seam in my RV?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RVRAC

I was looking in the closet of my Lep and saw some light coming through the joint of the roof and the back wall. I went up and there is nothing broke or torn on the roof. There is no sign of water.  Have anyone experience this? Should I be concerned?  I am over 1,000 miles from the dealer, so going to them is not an option. Should I use Eternabond??? Any other suggestion?????

Sarge: Title modified for better response

Can you post pics of this? I haven't seen anything like that on mine thankfully. I did notice that the trim at the roof line along the sides had Dicor sealant, but there wasn't any along the back. It looked like the same type of installation, and was concerned that the back wasn't done like the sides, so I did it myself.

That certainly sounds serious and is definitely a problem.  If your 2017 is still under warranty, any Coachmen dealer should handle it, or maybe call Coachmen and ask if authorize a local service.

In the meantime, cover the gap as best you can as a temporary repair. The "Eternabond" brand name gets used like Kleenex or Coke - a substitute for a type of product. Most any hardware of home store should have a waterproof roof-sealing tape you can use and most of them are excellent. Or use an exterior type duct tape such as Gorilla Tough & Wide or Gorilla Clear Repair Tape.

If you're going to tape for a stop gap repair, try awning repair tape. It holds very well, but it is removable. Eternabond tape is near impossible to remove, and leaves a mess when you do.

Here's what I have used in the past with great success. I bought mine at my local RV dealer though:

https://www.amazon.com/Incom-Manufacturing-RE3848-Awning-Repair/dp/B001Y8NEX2

Here are the photos of the two places.

Attachments

• 1rooflight.JPG
    1rooflight.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 135
  • 2rroflight.JPG
    2rroflight.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 127
Yep, that is a concern alright. But at least it should be easy to find.  Have someone on the outside on a ladder or the roof moving their hand back and forth along the roof edge. When the light goes out on the inside, you found the spot.

Man, that doesn't look good. Like Gary said, I would be at my dealer for that one, and an email to the Leprechaun rep at Coachmen. His email can be found on the Coachmen website. I have had dealings with him, and he seems to be a great guy, and helped me out with no 100 questions dilemma.

I agree that it looks like holes make with a drill.  However, when I go up there are no holes on the roof.  It seems that when the sun is really bright the light goes through the roof membrane and show these spots.  When it the sun is not bright you can see nothing.  I will contact the dealer and Coachmen.  Thanks.

Thanks Gary.  Did you mention that I should not use Eternabond in the meantime?  Any particular reason?

No, I did NOT say that. I said you do not need to special order or hunt for the Eternabond brand product. Any similar roof sealer/repair tape product, widely available in home & hardware stores, will do fine.  Or one of the heavy duty, outdoor grade tapes I mentioned (or equivalent).

The only reason not to use Eternabond is once it's on, it's not coming off.  That might make it more difficult to find or fix the ultimate problem later on.

Thanks Gary.  I happen to have some of it at hand. I will contact my dealer on Monday. I appreciate the responses of the folks here including yours.

Just want to update on what the dealer says.  They say that the problem of the light coming through , when there is no water coming in, is that the dealer missed to put caulking over the rear moulding like they did on the side moulding.  Here are the photos of the roof on the area where the light is coming through.  Does this make sense?

Attachments

• outsidephto.JPG
    outsidephto.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 61
Sorry for the many messages, had problems attaching photos.  The dealer says that is the factory missing putting caulking a top of this moulding as it did on the side where the same moulding is used.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom