Too old? (2008 Winnebago 24j RV)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

georgecat

I want to look at 2008 Winnebago 24j with 48000 miles.  But is this a bad investment?  I have the checklist as a guide to check systems etc just wondering when life of rv might ?end?. Pros and cons????  Help and thanks!!

Sarge: Title modified for better response

Too old - no way. 48,000 miles is good, that means the unit was used (use it or lose it.) Our Horizon is a 2005 model, bought new, with about 120,000 miles on it. We have kept it well maintained, upgraded it over the years and it's good for another ten years.

Well one thing is, a RV is NOT an investment. Yea it is something you put money in but you start loosing right away. 2008 isn't old at all, well maybe for some folks. Most coachs that new are out of MY price point. I could go by a brand new coach but I never would even consider that, not for my use. My old 2003 coach will do anything for me that a brand new one will do, and I'll keep that 80 or 90 grand in the bank. Make sure to have it inspected, if you can't do it yourself, BEFORE you buy it. 

Not necessarily too old but keep in mind that it was caught in the Dodge demise and it was a few years before Mercedes took over.  We had an 08 H and had a heck of a time because of that - the software controlling all the functions was Dodge software.  But we needed repairs in 2010 in Canada and the Mercedes dealer had a heck of a time getting the steering control unit to be recognized.  Then when it finally was (after 3 more units) there was an error code showing he could not resolve.  We left anyway and returned to Colorado.  The fix was to go to the local Mercedes dealer, who after 3 weeks thought of the Dodge software, went to Dodge and had it reinstalled by a guy who used to work on the Sprinters, and that fixed the issue.  Now many units continue to run well after 100,000 miles but quite honestly I would purchase a unit that was fully Mercedes and not a Dodge/Mercedes...I think 2010 was the first year and also the last year before DEF.  Last word of warning:  Do not buy unless you have a good Sprinter repair shop near you.  Has nothing to do with the coach aspect but everything to do with the chassis as the shops are few and far between.  Good luck whatever you end up with! 8)

I don't consider an RV an investment any more than a car, but 2008 with 48,000 miles sounds pretty young!

I thought my 2004 with 46,000 miles was "young enough" but I'm not so sure now.

I expected maintenance but not as much as I'm doing. Hopefully it will slow down for awhile...

Bought an 06 Adventurer and wondered the same thing. You can always go cheaper and way more expensive. You will feel it when it's the right one. Advice is great but nothing like your gut feel.
Ted

georgecat said:
  I want to look at 2008 Winnebago 24j with 48000 miles.  But is this a bad investment?  I have the checklist as a guide to check systems etc just wondering when life of rv might ?end?. Pros and cons????  Help and thanks!!

Yes it is a horrible financial investment!  Fun as heck but pull up to the fuel pump one time and you will realize that when you buy one your expense are just starting.

'08 too old?  I just bought an 05.  Great shape and a whole 15k miles.  Taking it on a 2000 mile trip real soon.  Just get her checked the whole way out and don't cheap out on maintence - especially tires!

Sarge: Title modified for better response

Heli_av8tor said:
I thought my 2004 with 46,000 miles was "young enough" but I'm not so sure now.

I expected maintenance but not as much as I'm doing. Hopefully it will slow down for awhile...
If I'm decoding your screen name properly, you should be used to LOTS of maintenance... all the time. At least RV maint doesn't require complete periodic engine tear-downs  ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom