Bill Waugh-Vietnam series on HD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alpena Jeff

Binge watching this series. This is what you did over there?
I was a year away from the draft. Jesus!  Without you Huey guys.... I have buddies that were there and speak of u heros. God bless you all!
I repeat...God bless you!

Thanks for the blessing, but you got the hero thing backwards. 

The guys on the ground are the real Heros and especially anyone that never came back.

I was more like a Taxi driver.  I got to go back to a real bed at night, fly around in cool air conditioned comfort at altitude, and ate real food that usually did not come out of a box.

The Infantry is the heart of the army, the rest of us support them.

Anyway, thanks for the Veterans Day shout out.

For those who haven't met him, Bill's a generous and humble guy. You should get him to tell you about his autorotation to the ground in Viet Nam. Most helo pilots never experience such emergencies, and many who have never lived through it.

Kev

I still don't understand how I never served. Late 60's early 70's are blurred out. Some of you will understand.
Bill. Heros all! You downplay your part but I know better.
I have friends still alive that were there. They were dead if guys like you did not lift them out.
This is a tribute to all that served.
God bless!!!!!

If you ever get a chance, go down to your local VA hospital and say thank you in person to some of those guys that are rolling through the halls.

Wheel chairs everywhere,  you'll see a bunch of old Nam vets that are enjoying a place where they can finally be proud of their service... and the younger vets with missing legs.

We all gave some,  and some gave all.

Just spent 20 minutes or so on the phone with Bill. Most humble, genuine person ever. So proud that he would even take the time to talk with me. Can't wait to meet him.

TonyDtorch said:
If you ever get a chance, go down to your local VA hospital and say thank you in person to some of those guys that are rolling through the halls.

Wheel chairs everywhere,  you'll see a bunch of old Nam vets that enjoy a place where they can finally be proud of their service... and the younger vets with missing legs.

We all gave some,  and some gave all.

https://search.aol.com/aol/video?q=all+gave+some+some+gave+all&s_it=video-ans&sfVid=true&videoId=05CA44ADAB9AE8603B5E05CA44ADAB9AE8603B5E&v_t=loki-windoid

Huey Pilots were fearless I cant explain how I felt when they came in to extract us from the bush. Thanks guys

Bill is also a little bit of a Prankster.  Several years ago at Quartzsite, we met him.  I help him hook up his sewer line and 50 amp service in the middle of the desert. ::) ;D
You are totally correct about Bill being a nice guy. Our generator wouldn't work so he let us hook to his.  My wife still talks about the jeep ride out through the desert. 

So Bill have a super day tomorrow.

Wi1dBill

P.S. Bill, If you recall the arrow out in the desert.  Back in the early days of aviation these guy flew mostly by sighting landmarks.  Early airmail routes where marked, with arrows large enough to be seen from the air.  Some were concrete and some if concrete wasn't handy, stones like those near Quartzsite.

I cannot speak for the other guys, however I was not fearless.

But I was young, dumb, and foolish enough to believe that I was bulletproof.

PS:  I was bulletproof

Kevin Means said:
For those who haven't met him, Bill's a generous and humble guy. You should get him to tell you about his autorotation to the ground in Viet Nam. Most helo pilots never experience such emergencies, and many who have never lived through it.

Kev

and the ones that did have a back problem that plagues them the rest of their lives.

HueyPilotVN said:
But I was young, dumb, and foolish enough to believe that I was bulletproof.
PS:  I was bulletproof
I thought I was bullet proof too, till I found out different. :)

I started to watch this series with my wife but after the second night I decided to find something else to do.  She watched the rest of the series and said it was enlightening and well done. I wonder if it changed anyone mind as to what we went through over there. 

What I got out of the series was a lot more back ground on the war, and some of the things that happened in the USA while I wasnt there. 

http://www.history.com/shows/vietnam-in-hd

Watch it and cry....that's what I did.

So many lives wasted on both sides,  I hate this time of the year,  I helped kill so many people during the Christmas bombings of 72.

I tried to watch, but it brought back too many memories and nightmares. My eternal thanks to Bill and all the other Huey jocks for saving my bacon more than once though!

Kevin,, Rotorwing pilots spend many many hours practicing autorotation under emergency conditions as a condition certification.. also they are tested at BiAnnual flight review time until its an automatic reaction..>>>Dan (33 year directer of maintenance of two commercial heli companies)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom