DP air compressor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taoshum

Our air compressor now makes a clicking sound, seems pretty loud.  The air pressure is fine, 160+ psi on both gages.  Just wondering... maybe I just noticed the sound since I was outside the RV when it cycled off, then on??  Anyway, now I'm wondering what's normal?  Should I be able to hear it?

Neal said:
160 psi sounds high to me. Ours runs about 120 psi I think.

You're correct.  I misread the gage... probably about 125 maybe 130?  Still wondering if the air compressor can be heard when it's running.

I don't hear mine until the blow off digs a hole in my driveway.

125 psi is pretty standard for chassis air systems.  And no, you should not be able to hear it with the engine running.  When was the last time you changed out the air dryer cartridge? They can get clogged with dirt as well as moisture and make the whole system work overly hard. 2-3 years is about the max you should let it go on a motorhome air system, even though it compressor doesn'r run anywhere near as many hours as a commercial truck system would,

Gary RV_Wizard said:
125 psi is pretty standard for chassis air systems.  And no, you should not be able to hear it with the engine running.  When was the last time you changed out the air dryer cartridge? They can get clogged with dirt as well as moisture and make the whole system work overly hard. 2-3 years is about the max you should let it go on a motorhome air system, even though it compressor doesn'r run anywhere near as many hours as a commercial truck system would,

Thanks.  It's going to Freightliner/Cummins next week for the "annual"... I'll ask 'em to check the dryer and the air compressor.  Better to fix it there than somewhere on a lonely road...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom