Purchasing a new truck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garym1111

I'm getting ready to purchase a new truck. I currently have a GMC Sierra with a 6.2L gas engine towing a 5th wheel that weighs about 10,000 lbs.

We are getting ready to retire in about a year so we're thinking we'll want a larger 5th wheel when that happens so I'm going to buy a diesel truck.

I have checked out both the Ford F350 and the GMC Sierra 3500 and I like the GMC a little bit better but it "only" tows 17200 lbs where the Ford tows over 23000 lbs.

Not to start any arguments  :) but I'd like to hear what people think that have driven these trucks. Anything that stands out about either one? Also, I'd like to hear about the mileage that people are getting.

Thanks!!!!
Gary

After 17 straight GM products i bought a Ford 350 dually nothing bad to say about GM other than they build "old man trucks for old men" - meaning they are very conservative. The duramax and allison is a solid combination no doubt but i needed a change, i like my Ford so far but -  i only have 3000 miles on it, the bells and whistles ie ALL LED lights, the camera in the box for the 5th wheel hitch, the other 5 cameras it has, the power tailgate that you can operate from inside the truck and a number of other things made me try a Ford

Good luck anyway you go they are all very close its personal preference

SteveBlonde is correct.  It will come down to personal choice in the end.  I love my F-250, and I think the 6.7L is a beast.  My Dad was die hard Chevy, and wouldn't even look at a Ford for himself, yet when he rode with me, he really loved my truck.  After riding in the back of my Dads (after he passed away and my brother bought it), I can say for sure the Ford has much better leg room in the back seat (if you get the CrewCab).  It was quite crowded in the Chevy.  I wish you luck in this.  I suggest driving both as much as you can and get the one you end up feeling more comfortable with.

I traded my 07Chevy Duramax for a 17 GMC with a Duramax last month.  I drove em all before I made the decision and had a tough decision between the Ford and GM.  I'm not a Dodge guy, so I never seriously considered one, however they make a fine truck.  They're all good nowdays and you just have to buy what you like.  I finally settled on the GMC because it had the exact equipment and color combination we wanted.  I leaned a little toward the GM product due to the trouble free nature of my 07, which had about 205,000 miles on it when I traded it in.  Once  you find out how well the Diesels perform towing, you'll never want to tow with anything else.  Just set the cruise and go.  Very comfortable towing.

My advice is to buy what you like.  No major problems with any of them and any of them should handle your trailer nicely.

Don't rule out a Ram 3500 either. Even if you decide against buying one, it would be a shame not to even check them out. Their 3500's are beasts. Gotta be careful on their 2500's though. I've seen some with dismal payloads for a 3/4 ton.

I expect that you know this, but its rarely towing capacity that is critical with a fiver. It seems that payload is the critical requirement and you do need to check carefully. Incidentally, 17, 000 lb is a really big fiver (pin weight will be around 4, 250 lb.)

Ernie

You need to take a closer look at the towing capacities - various configurations of either the Ford or GMC/Chevy (or Ram) trucks have widely different ratings and the GM trucks also go up to 23,200 lbs.  Many of the GMC 3500 configurations are rated 20k lbs or higher.  For either the Ford or the GM, the actual tow capacity of a nicely equipped F350/3500 is likley to be in the 14,000-19,000 range than the very highest numbers shown on the brochures and websites.  The optional equipment that makes them so comfortable also detracts from the max tow capability. Furthermore, Cargo Capacity, i.e. the pin weight the truck can carry, is probably more critical than tow ratings.  Stop by a dealer and look at some examples of a nice F350 or 3500 diesel with super or crew cab, car-like interior, etc. and get some real life examples of tow ratings and cargo capacity.

I'll also agree with Ernie - chances are you won't need anything beyond around 17,000 lbs, but you are wise to be thinking ahead.  Do some trailer shopping before you decide on a truck.

Real simple.........If the F350 can't handle the load,  then get the F450. 

as it is often said here in all the truck posts...."You can never have too much truck"  .

IMO..The best diesel pickup truck would be a Ford body, with a Dodge engine, and a Chevy trans.

It should be like when I ordered my Freightliner work truck ....you can order whatever motor, trans, axles, suspension you want.

TonyDtorch said:
IMO..The best diesel pickup truck would be a Ford body, with a Dodge engine, and a Chevy trans.

http://www.destroked.com/

TonyDtorch said:
Real simple.........If the F350 can't handle the load,  then get the F450. 

as it is often said here in all the truck posts...."You can never have too much truck"  .

It should be like when I ordered my Freightliner work truck ....you can order whatever motor, trans, axles, suspension you want.

I have to laugh.  This poor fella does not have a clue.  Dodge does NOT make the diesel motor.  Dodge Does NOT sell trucks.
They are RAM trucks powered by CUMMINS motors.
Ram is the only truck builder that offers you a choice of three different transmissions.  All are bullet proof.
GM only offers one rear end ratio choice with their D/A combo.  GM has in the past had about the lowest towing and load carrying capacities.  Which BTW is what you want for towing a fifth wheel.  Cummins is a proven 500K mile motor.  Ford finally got their heads on straight and offer a decent motor.  But Ford is really proud of their trucks, at least price wise.  Rams have one of the best interiors on the market.  Ford slathers too much chrome for my tastes.  But I like badge less exteriors.
Bottom line, go drive them all. Pick the one you feel is best for your needs.  Remember though to pick your new fiver first.  Use the 20% of the GVWR rule for pin weight.  About any of the new trucks are going to weigh close to 8000 pounds ready to travel.
Good luck!

So.. you must have bought your new Ram truck at your local Ram Dealership ? 

(sorry, it's a Dodge...)  ;)

I'm so glad you told me and everyone else that the diesel Dodge trucks have a Cummings motor (the new small diesel is Italian made).

I worked at a Chrysler/Dodge Dealership years ago so I kinda already knew that.  but thanks.

If you worked at a dealership you should know it's CUMMINS not cummings.
And nope. It is Ram brand.  I agree their all under the FCA banner, but still a RAM.  There is no where on them that says Dodge.

I didn't work in the spelling department.  but thanks again.

donn said:
And nope. It is Ram brand.  I agree their all under the FCA banner, but still a RAM.  There is no where on them that says Dodge.

Not that long ago all it said was "Dodge"....then it said "Dodge-Ram" for a while ...and now all it says is Ram with a chrome goat head ...in 24" high chromed plastic letters glued right in the middle of tailgate and all down the sides of the truck.
  I think "Ram" is actually the Latin term for "Ugly"... ;D

A Dodge ( ;)) is a very good truck, uncomfortable and homely as hell,  but Famous for being a workhorse with all the same cabin comforts of an International Harvester pickup truck. The preferred farm truck for the hired help.

and Chevy didn't even make that great transmission in their truck either, in fact you now have a Japanese copy of an Allison transmission in your new Goat Head truck.

Dodge years ago should have just bought an Allison like Chevy did instead of trying to make a Torqueflight trans handle all that Cummins power. If you got 120k miles out of that Chrysler transmission you were lucky behind that store bought 500k mile Cummins engine.

over the years there has been good and bad in every brand.

Thanks everyone for your opinions!!

I have looked at the different configurations, especially for the GMC. It's weird that to get the most towing capacity for the GMC you have to get a long bed, which I don't want. The Sierra crew cab, with the standard bed will tow 17200. I'm going to go back and look at both the Ford and the GMC and decide at that point.

Any mileage numbers?

Thanks

It's weird that to get the most towing capacity for the GMC you have to get a long bed,

You are right about the Sierra Crew Cab standard bed tow rating. Further, that configuration has a CCC (payload) of 3937, and that's before adding any trim options.  That's probably barely enough if you want to tow 17k lbs of trailer.  Looking at the F350 Crew Cab DRW diesels, they all seems to have an 8 ft box as well. It looks as though the standard bed is available only in the SRW configuration, but that can get you to 20k lbs  if you get the right options.  Not sure if it has the CCC needed to tow that much, though.  Better check that carefully if you are thinking SRW.

https://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/17RV&TT_Ford_SuperDtyPU_Sep9.pdf

I did not check the Ram specs.

THE DEFINITIVE ANSWER:  Drive both and get the one your wife likes!  ;D

Seriously, PAYLOAD or CCC should be the defining number.  On every new truck, there is a yellow bordered placard on the driver door latch post which shows "the total weight of passengers and cargo shall not exceed xxxx lbs", which is the max payload, or CCC for THAT truck as it  left the factory.  If you read the fine print / foot notes in the tables, it will say that the published payload / towing capacity must be reduced by the weight of all options and accessories.  The yellow placard has this figured in.

You need sufficient payload to handle 20%+ of the FW GVWR as pin wt, plus 200# for FW hitch plus the weight of all passengers, pets and other cargo carried in the truck.

Look carefully at the yellow placards!

Note also that Steve got the F350 DRW because  1. It was in stock, as he wanted it equipped and  2.  The F350 (for some odd reason) had a significantly higher payload than the comparable F450!

To respond about fuel mileage, I get a little less than 10 mpg when the toy hauler is loaded up with all our stuff including the motorcycle. Empty truck, not towing, I get right around 16 mpg. I had a 2015 Ford F-350 6.7 Powerstroke and the mileage *might* have been slightly better, but not enough difference to argue about.
I wouldn?t discount the Rams with the Cummins engine either, as stated previously. At least they are the only U.S. truck maker that offers a standard transmission as an option,  which would be my preference. Ford and GM made that decision for me since they don?t even offer it.

grashley said:
  On every new truck, there is a yellow bordered placard on the driver door latch post which shows "the total weight of passengers and cargo shall not exceed xxxx lbs",

or what ?

it's not a commercial vehicle....it's never going to be weighed loaded and nobody cares. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom