Purchasing a new truck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
TonyDtorch said:
Real simple.........If the F350 can't handle the load,  then get the F450. 

as it is often said here in all the truck posts...."You can never have too much truck"  .

IMO..The best diesel pickup truck would be a Ford body, with a Dodge engine, and a Chevy trans.

It should be like when I ordered my Freightliner work truck ....you can order whatever motor, trans, axles, suspension you want.

Sorry Tony but the F450 has a lower payload than the F350 by over 500lbs on similar equiped trucks which is why i bought a F350

They had both on the lot side by side same coour same trim but looking at the door decal the F350 is higher pay same on the website and brochure

If you have not already made a purchase, check out Fast Lane Trucking on YouTube.

They do a comparison of the HD trucks comparing towing, payload and MPG, ease of driving, noise level, etc.  It is free to watch!!

Drifterrider said:
If you have not already made a purchase, check out Fast Lane Trucking on YouTube.

They do a comparison of the HD trucks comparing towing, payload and MPG, ease of driving, noise level, etc.  It is free to watch!!

There are a bunch of those 1 says buy a Ram 1 says Buy a Chev 1 says buy a Ford lol they all have opinions

Fast Lane Trucking doesn't say what to buy.  They give facts.  They compare apples to apples (when they can) as some trucks might not offer a diesel version of the platform they are testing.

steveblonde said:
Sorry Tony but the F450 has a lower payload than the F350 by over 500lbs on similar equiped trucks which is why i bought a F350

They had both on the lot side by side same coour same trim but looking at the door decal the F350 is higher pay same on the website and brochure

Let's recap the truck comparison ...the F450 has bigger wheels/tires (19.5" truck wheels),  bigger rear axles shafts,  bigger brakes,  bigger front frame, bigger wider front axle.

I have had a CDL-A for over 40 years now and unless I'm required to go through to a commercial vehicle roadside weight inspection...I really don't care what the yellow sticker says... IMO in the truck world everything bigger... is better.

Is it possible that there is a DOT GVW weight tax threshold that is the reason Ford de-rated the F450 ?

( Steve..are you one of those guys that will not go down the "Up" stairway...even when the building is on fire ?  :) )

TonyDtorch said:
Let's recap the truck comparison ...the F450 has bigger wheels/tires (19.5" truck wheels),  bigger rear axles shafts,  bigger brakes,  bigger front frame, bigger wider front axle.

I have had a CDL-A for over 40 years and unless I'm required to go through to a commercial vehicle roadside weight inspection...I really don't care what the yellow sticker says...bigger is better.

( Steve..are you one of those guys that will not go down the "Up" stairway...even when the building is on fire ?  :) )

Congratulations Tony you are the reason insurance companies love ignorant people, and the reason they put on yellow decals, its  because its poeple like you that brake the rules to the extent insurance rates have skyrocketed and just because you had a licence doesnt make you right, the same reason  every one has an ******* , doesnt mean you need to be one. Yes it has a bigger front axle - so it has a tighter turn radius, it has a smaller pay for a reason if you dont like it then i would suggest you bring it up with the Ford engineers and the like im pretty sure they have forgotten a whole bunch more then the average small minded person will ever know.

You are right Steve...and I have no love or respect for the money gouging Insurance industry either.

they will always figure out a way to letigiously screw you out of money.

As an avid custom car/truck builder since the 60's,... let's say I take a 1/2 ton Ford pickup truck body and put it on a military 2-1/2 ton truck chassis..in the non-commercial truck world does the yellow sticker GVW still count ?

TonyDtorch said:
You are right Steve...and I have no love or respect for the money gouging Insurance industry either.

they will always figure out a way to letigiously screw you out of money.

If I took a 1/2 ton Ford pickup truck body and put it on a military 2-1/2 ton truck chassis..in the non-commercial truck world does the yellow sticker GVW still count ?

To this date you cannot compare commercial trucking to the non commercial world and in the case stated you are correct. However, the rules in this case are there for a reason, i may not agree with them - BUT i travel the roads with those people who have no knowledge and it scares me when i see an overloaded rig of any sort. As a proffesional driver and racer and the victim of ignorance that cost me 2 years of my life in a hospital and more than 15 surgeries to date to fix broken and damaged bones. Coming from a person who has spent there entire life bending rules there are certain thing you dont mess with,this is one of them, the YELLOW decal is put there for a reason you are not in a position to argue it PERIOD

And if you doubt me please read my profile message

I'll disagree with you again. The yellow GVW stickers are more or less used for taxing purposes and as a warning label to appease corporate attorneys for possible warranty costs.

Go to the SEMI show next year, you will see many brand new trucks that are custom painted... and all those dumb warning stickers are gone. 

I know you probably think that is absolutely reckless behavior,  but it's still perfectly legal to drive them right next to you on the highway.
According to federal DOT rules, (body wise) the only thing you can't tamper with is the actual VIN plate on the dash.

In fact, I have a friend that had the whole quarter panel replaced by the almighty 'insurance company'... no more door stickers.

IMO..anyone that really needs the guidance of that yellow door sticker should first read a  "Trucking for Dummies"  book.. :)

steveblonde said:
i would suggest you bring it up with the Ford engineers and the like im pretty sure they have forgotten a whole bunch more then the average small minded person will ever know.

I remember many years ago some of those same highly educated automotive engineers said it is physically impossible for an internal combustion engine car to ever go faster than 120 MPH in the quarter mile.

and then a bunch of 'small minded' hot rodding kids proved them wrong.

TonyDtorch said:
I remember many years ago some of those same highly educated automotive engineers said it is physically impossible for an internal combustion engine car to ever go faster than 120 MPH in the quarter mile.

and then a bunch of 'small minded' hot rodding kids proved them wrong.
e

Amazing considering the first internal combution engine broke 100mph in 1906 and Chitty Bang Bang did 167 mph in 1926 just how old are you? Alzhiemers ?

steveblonde said:
e

Amazing considering the first internal combution engine broke 100mph in 1906 and Chitty Bang Bang did 167 mph in 1926 just how old are you? Alzhiemers ?

Practice reading Steve...I said 1/4 mile

steveblonde said:
1/4 mile ? -  door decal?  Semantics, just guidlines like going up the down stairs in a fire?

It's okay Steve... People are taught in schools today to just memorize all the limitations listed in our guidelines and follow the rules,  we already know more than you and it's just a waste of time to think for yourself.

Remember,  for everyone's safety.. always obey authority.

( that worked out real well during the Vietnam era )

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom