Where to buy a heavy-duty tow dolly in person?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lisamc

Question: Where do RVers commonly buy their tow dollies when purchasing in person?  I'm not having much luck with online for-sale listings (Craigslist, Ebay, RV trader or here) because we need a heavy-duty/high weight capacity one (4500lbs and up, for our 2012 Honda Odyssey with cargo) and many ads don't list or know the make and model of the dolly so we can check its weight rating. The ones that do list model don't have a high enough gross towed vehicle weight rating for our needs.  And I literally haven't found any businesses in person that sell dollies- not even RV sales and parts businesses and tow trailer dealers I've checked with, except for PPL in Houston, but we are travelling outside of Texas now (in AR headed towards TN).  We are moving every few days right now so we'd really like to buy in-person, assembled and in-stock as we don't want to stick around somewhere just for an order delivery.

Relevant info: We have been full-timing since late August in our 34' 2011 Four Winds Serrano (Class A FRED).  I've been driving our 2012 Honda Odyssey separately from the RV, and we want to get a tow dolly now that we're moving the RV more frequently.  It seems that the '12 Odyssey cannot be towed 4-down.  We're committed to the Odyssey bc we have 3 kids in car seats, and we also use the Odyssey for additional storage space. Other Odyssey owners have recommended a few dollies that work well with the weight and width of the van,  so we're keeping our eye out for the heavy duty models made by KarTote, AcmeEZTow, Roadmaster and the KarKaddy SS 460. 

The Acme EZTow is a very lightly built dolly, even though the models with brakes are rated for 5000 lbs.

Most of the others (Kar Kaddy, Master Tow, Roadmaster) are rated for vehicles up to 4700-5000 lbs. I've not seen any that are rated above that, but people tow heavier vehicles with them.  Most of them would be limited by the trailer ball coupler anyway - they all use a 2" ball and those are rated for 6000 lbs max. A 800-900 lb dolly with a 4800 lb car pushes right up to that limit.  That may be how the Acme gets to its 5000 lb rating - the dolly is only about 340-400 lbs.

Thanks so much, y'all.  I appreciate the tips about the weight rating, Gary.  Finally found a place that has some along our route- RV City in Benton, AR.  Hopefully they'll have one matching the specs we need.  :)

I would start with the manufacturer' s web sites to determine a make and model that will meet your specs.  Most manufacturers will have dealers listed on their website.  Pick a dealer in your area or on your route and email / call them to bargain. 

Thanks, all.  We finally found one, a Stehltow.  It's working fine so far, and it's been great to be able to travel in the RV together. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom