Fun Electrical Issue on 2008 Sunseeker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slikrick

Hello,

We recently got a used 2008 Sunseeker LTD from a relative and after traveling for 3 weeks we have an electrical issue.

We replaced the battery before hitting the road. One night our lights dimmed really low and we looked on the Convenience Center and found out our batter was on E and one of the breaker labeled W/H was tripped.We assumed this is for the water heater (attached pic). At the time we where plugged into a 30amp power and the red batter switch was turned to the on positions(see attached pic).That breaker will not go back on without tripping the main breaker. After doing some research online it appeared our converter might be the issue, so we replaced it.

After replacing the converter everything seamed to work while plugged into 30amp including the Water Heater(while still tripped). Keeping an eye on the battery I noticed it was still draining. At this point i turned the red knob for the batter to the off position and noticed the lights and everything worked, including the battery staying charged. Pryer to switching out the converter the lights would not work without having the battery in the on position.

A week went by with no issue and one day after opening the fridge the power cut off. The main barker had tripped. After flipping all of the breakers nothing would come on. I plugged the red batter knob back to the on position and everything came back on. However our batter is now slowly draining  :mad: . Should I try replacing the breaker labeled W/H?

Any help with trouble shooting would be appreciated. We are new to the RV life so please be understanding  :)

What converter do you have (make and model)  some do not do that great a job of charging the batteries.

Second.. It is important to recharge those batteries fast as you can

Now. when my converter fried a couple weeks ago it was Sunday. Replacing it not an option on Sunday so I got a Deltran Battery Tender.. this is a big one, not the little ones we see all over, about 100 at Auto Zone... it does the standard 1-2 amp Battery tender thing. but it also does 20 amp "Battery Boost" (Took 24 hours to re-fill my battery bank) and 70 amp jump start boost. So it replaces all my portable battery chargers which being like 20 yerars old.. seriously needed replacement.

slikrick said:
Hello,

We recently got a used 2008 Sunseeker LTD from a relative and after traveling for 3 weeks we have an electrical issue.

We replaced the battery before hitting the road. One night our lights dimmed really low and we looked on the Convenience Center and found out our batter was on E and one of the breaker labeled W/H was tripped.We assumed this is for the water heater (attached pic). At the time we where plugged into a 30amp power and the red batter switch was turned to the on positions(see attached pic).That breaker will not go back on without tripping the main breaker. After doing some research online it appeared our converter might be the issue, so we replaced it.

After replacing the converter everything seamed to work while plugged into 30amp including the Water Heater(while still tripped). Keeping an eye on the battery I noticed it was still draining. At this point i turned the red knob for the batter to the off position and noticed the lights and everything worked, including the battery staying charged. Pryer to switching out the converter the lights would not work without having the battery in the on position.

A week went by with no issue and one day after opening the fridge the power cut off. The main barker had tripped. After flipping all of the breakers nothing would come on. I plugged the red batter knob back to the on position and everything came back on. However our batter is now slowly draining  :mad: . Should I try replacing the breaker labeled W/H?

Any help with trouble shooting would be appreciated. We are new to the RV life so please be understanding  :)
You several different things going on, over a period of time, so it is kind of hard to pinpoint what is wrong.  It is good that you shared the pics. 

1)  Water heater.  If the CB tripped, then you have an overload on the 120V AC part of the water heater.  Could be the 120V AC heater element.  BTW, just like a home elect water heater, if you turn on the AC to an empty water heater it will burn out the heater element.  With the RV water heater even though the AC part is broke, the 12V DC control board and the gas part would still work.  That would account for you saying the water heater works with the CB tripped.  When the water heater is on gas and heating water it is easy to hear the gas burner.  Many times even from the inside of the RV you can hear the roar of the gas flame while heating the water. 
2)  Since the red battery disconnect switch works differently after replacing the converter, it appears something wasn't reconnected correctly when the converter was replaced.  I don't have any suggestions on what to look for.  Who did the replacement?
3)  the water heater CB has no relation to the battery draining.
4)  It would be helpful if you gave the specific details on "our batter is now slowly draining".  How are you determining the battery is slowly draining.  What is slowly, 2 hours, 3 days, etc

I would confirm that the breakers are labeled correctly. My panel had two breakers that were labeled incorrectly; apparently the wires were swapped during installation.

While you're at it, label each receptacle for future reference.

It is a converter that I replaces with the exact same model. The replacement consisted of three wires and a power supply. It was a very simple “plug and play” type deal.

The battery will drain after 24-48 hours while plugged into shore power

Back
Top Bottom