Good Sam vs FMCA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
R

rockin rockwood

Looking to buy membership in either GS or FMCA. My main concern is towing coverage, as I am making a trip from NJ to AZ  and retire! Also will be probably hanging up the keys after we make it there. I've been living in this with the wife since August and pretty much had my fill of the RV lifestyle...lol

You can get good towing coverage without joining either of those, by signing up with Coachnet.  With FMCA you first join the club, then sign up for what is much like Coachnet. I think it's similar with GS.

I'd get CoachNet... the one that covers you in any vehicle, even motos, for a year.  If you like it, you'll know next time.  None of 'em are perfect tho.  Ins Co's usually reimburse you...

As much as I like Coach-Net and have it myself, I can't see paying the price for a one year subscription when it's only needed for one trip if there are lower cost services that cover the basic towing needs that the OP is concerned with.

NY_Dutch said:
As much as I like Coach-Net and have it myself, I can't see paying the price for a one year subscription when it's only needed for one trip if there are lower cost services that cover the basic towing needs that the OP is concerned with.

True enough I guess although you never know when you'll need key service, battery jump, a flat fixed, a custom route, referrals, etc, etc whether you're in an RV or not or even in someone else's vehicle.  We use it for the other vehicles more often than the RV.

It is hard to say here benefits wise, 10% Good Sam member discounts are offered at many independently operated RV parks, it does not take many 10% off at $35+ per night to brake even on the Good Sam basic membership fee.

Tom said:
Another vote for Coach-Net.
  I looked at Coach-Net's website. $250 membership? Granted 1 breakdown, or tow would cover the cost, but seems excessive. Weren't they the company FMCA used a couple years ago?

Yes, FMCA partnered with Coach Net a few years back, as have several other RV clubs/groups and various insurers. FMCA switched to another provider, though.

AAA offers an RV roadside plan (AAA RV Plus) and so does the Allstate Motor Club. You don't have to use Allstate Insurance to join their Motor Club.

Check with your coach insurer first, but be careful to make sure they have coverage for a motorhome. The usual emergency or towing add-on will not in most cases, but the agent may not be aware of that. 

[quote author=rockin rockwood]$250 membership?[/quote]

I believe that's just the first year. IIRC renewals are more like $150.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom