Compartment Lights Failures.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taoshum

FYI, FWIW, Incidentally... Just noticed that the compartment lights in 3 compartments weren't working.  One bulb was not working but it turns out that the other two have a faulty door switch (the door push to turn off type switch).  Amazing to me that two would fail about the same time.  I guess I'll get several... the others will probably fail too?

I have those same switches on our hanging locker sliding doors and they both failed. I bought a couple of replacements on-line (not from Winnebago) and they were both defective (cheap Chinese junk.) One of these days I'll replace the switches with a magnetic reed switch like we have on the entrance door. Ironically none of my compartment door switches have failed, yet.

As a side note, I've replaced all of the incandescent bulbs in the bays with LED, either a direct replacement or I used LED strip lights.

John Canfield said:
I have those same switches on our hanging locker sliding doors and they both failed. I bought a couple of replacements on-line (not from Winnebago) and they were both defective (cheap Chinese junk.) One of these days I'll replace the switches with a magnetic reed switch like we have on the entrance door. Ironically none of my compartment door switches have failed, yet.

As a side note, I've replaced all of the incandescent bulbs in the bays with LED, either a direct replacement or I used LED strip lights.

I'm slowly converting to LEDs... starting with the lights that get used the most first.  Maybe you know the size to use in the ceiling light over the control panel (a/c, heater, voltages, pump, converter, etc).  The batteries last much longer when we use LEDs! 

Our older unit had a lot of led’s, but many that were not. All done,  except the four(4) 36” fluorescent in kitchen....yet to do. The lights in the basement were a huge improvement, as well as the “scare lights”....handi when walking the dogs at night when boondocking in grizzly country!  ;D  The lights may not stop a bear... but at least you know what “gotcha”!   

mag switch ?:  https://www.amazon.com/Directed-Electronics-8601-Magnetic-Switch/dp/B0009SUF08/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1510498407&sr=8-3&keywords=cabinet+door+switch

probably have to switch bulb to LED tho

^^ Something like that switch for the bay doors ^^

The description doesn't say what the contacts are rated for but I would imagine it could handle the amp or so from one of those incandescent bulbs.

For our hanging locker with the sliding doors, I was going to buy just a 'naked' reed switch to place in the door jamb and bury one of those little high strength round magnets in the edge of the door.

On the flip side.....
You all'  might be surprised at how many of those lights don't shut off when the door is shut. I did a FaceTime from one phone to another, tossed one in looking at the light and shut the door to see what happens. Most of the buttons weren't pushed in enough to kill the lamp. The solution was to add a sticky rubber foot (available at Home Depot.) to add about another 3/16" to the button throw.

Memtb said:
  Our older unit had a lot of led?s, but many that were not. All done,  except the four(4) 36? fluorescent in kitchen....yet to do. The lights in the basement were a huge improvement, as well as the ?scare lights?....handi when walking the dogs at night when boondocking in grizzly country!  ;D  The lights may not stop a bear... but at least you know what ?gotcha?! 

Come to the Rally in Quartzsite and we will convert your 4 kitchen lights to LED for free.  At least we will show you how and furnish the parts.  I just ordered a bunch of LED rolls, tape, and connectors.  We already have lots of switches.

Attachments

• r20171113_003737.jpg
    r20171113_003737.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 13
  • r20171113_003720.jpg
    r20171113_003720.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 12
    Thanks for the offer, but we should have already done them. They?re in the box, sitting on the camper floor....but we?re boondocking/elk hunting, and will ?gett?r done? when we get home. Already converted all the ?little? 12? fluorescent lights in the ceiling, and all ?stand-alone? 12 volt and 110 volt bulbs throughout the unit. Must work on establishing priorities!  :)

SCVJeff said:
On the flip side.....
You all'  might be surprised at how many of those lights don't shut off when the door is shut. I did a FaceTime from one phone to another, tossed one in looking at the light and shut the door to see what happens. Most of the buttons weren't pushed in enough to kill the lamp. The solution was to add a sticky rubber foot (available at Home Depot.) to add about another 3/16" to the button throw.

I had to add the little pad to the closet door in my View 24M.  You could see the light leaking thru the seam.  Pushing on door shut the light off.    Added the pad, works perfectly!

Back
Top Bottom