2015 Coachman Apex APT215RBK

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bobbyg

Question to the RV world.  We are seriously considering purchasing a used 2015 Coachmen Apex APT215RBK.  We have read both good and bad reviews on this brand.  Our plan is to take long cross country treks after we retire in a year. 

Has anyone had any experience with this brand, good or bad?

What should I be looking for to pull this?  I would prefer an SUV of some sort, 4 wheel drive capable of going out on back roads, dirt or gravel to see the real countryside.  It is 24 feet long.  Weight is about 4300 lbs I believe.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Not an Apex, but I have had two Coachmens. The first was a Catalina trailer, and the Leprechaun I have now.
The Catalina had two issues while I owned it. There was a screen for the window by the dinette that was bowed inward and wouldn't stop insects from getting in. Dealer ordered a new one with no questions. The cold water fitting supplying the kitchen sink would drip about every 30 seconds or so. I reached under and tightened the fitting by hand and had no more problems. I did go around the trailer and tightened the rest.

The Leprechaun- the control board for the furnace was bad. That was due to water intrusion that was the fault of Atwood, not Coachmen. The factory Coachmen rep asked three things in order to get all the replacement parts that were needed. He asked for the purchase date, VIN number, and my address to ship to me. Oh, he did ask if I needed assistance to install. I also had problems with both entertainment center that were made by Furrion. They replaced both for free, and the one they sent for the outside was an upgrade from the original unit.

Are Coachmen's built with top of the line materials? No, Are they the best insulated? No. Are they put together as well as any other, Yes. Is their factory support any good? Yes, just just remember that honey catches more flies than ..... Coachmen's are built to a price point like any other RV, and dollar for dollar, Coachmen is as good if not better than the rest.

We are seriously considering purchasing a used 2015 Coachmen Apex APT215RBK.  We have read both good and bad reviews on this brand.  Our plan is to take long cross country treks after we retire in a year.

A Coachmen is built as well (or poorly) as any other brand selling at that price point. However, most Coachmen are targeted low (entry level), so they may come up short when compared to the broad spectrum of all RVs.  Those who are intending frequent or longer term use of their RV might be well advised to buy higher on the price scale to get better quality components in things like the trailer frame & running gear, upholstery, flooring, and cabinetry, but the basic systems are probably no different than most  other brands in or near that price class.

What should I be looking for to pull this?  I would prefer an SUV of some sort, 4 wheel drive capable of going out on back roads, dirt or gravel to see the real countryside.  It is 24 feet long.  Weight is about 4300 lbs I believe.

You are about to make a serious mistake on weight. That 4300 lbs is the empty (unloaded) weight and nobody tows an empty trailer. Not even bringing it home from the dealership.  You should use the trailer GVWR (max load weight) in all your thinking, so figure about 6500 lbs rather than 4300.  That means a full-size SUV or half ton pick-up truck. The tow vehicle needs to have a tow capacity of at least 7200 lbs to handle that trailer in addition to passengers and gear in the SUV. Perhaps a Suburban or Yukon XL, or a Ford Expedition EL. Personally, I would recommend a half ton extended or crew cab pick-up with a cap on the back to provide weather-protected storage.  There is nothing uncomfortable about a nicely equipped pick-up.

Thanks to both Gary RV_Wizard, and kdngoat for your input.  All very useful

Further on the tow vehicle:

- Beside tow weight capacity, on what aspects of the truck or SUV should I focus most?  Tow package?  Horse power?  Engine size?  Since we will be out for more than just a vacation length trip, I realize we don?t want to under power our tow vehicle.  And I am reluctant to trust a car dealer to make the best recommendation, particularly on a used vehicle.
- is 4 wheel drive recommended or not a good idea?
- Can a car dealer upgrade to what is needed or should we find a trailer dealer to make sure the tow vehicle is ready for pulling our trailer?

Regarding the trailer:
- we would be purchasing the trailer privately, is a trailer dealership going to welcome us bringing the trailer in for a health checkup when we did not purchase from them?
- is there anything we should be paying close attention to before the sale?  What would be a red flag of much bigger hidden problems.  The seller says they have not used the trailer much and when we went to get a look at it, the appearances seem to support that statement.  We are going to arrange a second look and if satisfied, probably make an offer.

Again, any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Bobbyg

Verify all trailer appliances work (refrigerator may take 24 hrs to cool) so allow them warning.  Check carefully for any sign of leaking;  this is a show stopper! Ckeck the age of the tires - should be replaced after four to five years. Check the library for additional chek lists.

Be sure you like the layout and it satisfies your needs.

Good luck,

Ernie

Some dealers welcome non-warranty service and others try to minimize it. When you take yours to a dealer service shop, you are just one of the herd of people needing service. Many dealers give priority to owners who bought from them, but that varies widely.

My wife and I just returned to Florida from 2 months in Utah with our 2016 Apex 215RBK. All in all it was a great time with very few problems with the trailer. This was our first long trip since we retired. A few short trips prior to this seemed to work out the kinks in the trailer. A few things I did do that made the trip less worrisome was changing all 4 tires to the new Goodyear Endurance tire and went up one size.  I also purchased a TPMS system which took the worry out of tire problems. The tow vehicle was a 2016 Ford F150 with the new 2.7L Ecoboost engine, 2 wheel drive with tow package.  Overall MPG for the entire trip was 13.2. Never any problems feeling underpowered!  NE other questions, feel free to reach out.

Woody and Ann Miller

Clwpaddler said:
My wife and I just returned to Florida from 2 months in Utah with our 2016 Apex 215RBK. All in all it was a great time with very few problems with the trailer. This was our first long trip since we retired. A few short trips prior to this seemed to work out the kinks in the trailer. A few things I did do that made the trip less worrisome was changing all 4 tires to the new Goodyear Endurance tire and went up one size.  I also purchased a TPMS system which took the worry out of tire problems. The tow vehicle was a 2016 Ford F150 with the new 2.7L Ecoboost engine, 2 wheel drive with tow package.  Overall MPG for the entire trip was 13.2. Never any problems feeling underpowered!  NE other questions, feel free to reach out.

Woody and Ann Miller

I’m glad to read this. We just bought an Apex 215RBK. We pick it up on Friday!

Back
Top Bottom