Converting rear corner bed area to seating area in 22' or 24' class C

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brindledog

Hi,

I'm looking to buy an older model class C 24' or under for work purposes. My plan is to get a rear corner bed model, remove the bed and put in an additional seating area with a desk or small table and chair.  My dad did this with a travel trailer, but after doing some research, it seems that there is some kind of equipment located under the rear beds in most RVs.

Anyone here successfully removed a rear bed in small Class C and converted the area for other uses? If so, what did you do? What should i expect?

Thanks!

You just need to look under the bed to see what is there.  Some have lots of storage room, which would make it easy for you to make into and office area.  Others have lots of stuff built in.

AStravelers said:
You just need to look under the bed to see what is there.  Some have lots of storage room, which would make it easy for you to make into and office area.  Others have lots of stuff built in.

And some have the fresh water tank under there.

My RV has the bed with the fresh water tank under there. The manuals and documents I got for it show a version with table and L shaped bench seats in the same place that can be used as a bed. The main difference between them is the shape and location of the water tank. You would have to find a tank that will fit under a bench and re-route the plumbing.

In my RV I would also lose some outside storage space as the top portion of the bin is above the floor line. There is actually a shelf in the storage bin that is the floor, with the top boxed in underneath the bed.

My electrical load center is under the bed: converter, breaker panel and transfer switch. Could be boxed in if the bed was removed.

This really is going to be specific to the exact unit purchased.

Thanks for the input. So far I've looked at two RVs. Both had owners without much knowledge of what they owned and no idea what was under the rear bed. It's kind of hard to see under there, too. I have tried finding manuals /spec sheets for models before going to see them, but seems for older models (90's), not always easy to find.

Any idea which makes/models have water tanks under bed that would make my vision impossible?

brindledog said:
Thanks for the input. So far I've looked at two RVs. Both had owners without much knowledge of what they owned and no idea what was under the rear bed. It's kind of hard to see under there, too. I have tried finding manuals /spec sheets for models before going to see them, but seems for older models (90's), not always easy to find.

Any idea which makes/models have water tanks under bed that would make my vision impossible?

If the bed doesn't raise to access more storage are, there's a high probability that there is something under the bed which fills the cavity so it can't be used for storage. Where is the gravity fill port? If it's adjacent to the bed, there's a good chance the water tank is under there.

Winnebago Trend -- half the width of the permanent bed is storage reached by raising the foot of the bed.  That compartment extends into the outside basement.  To me it would be feasible to remove the bed and put in a floor and workspace.  You'd lose all but the lower part of that basement storage which would be accessible from the outside.  The 23L model has the loft bed so you would still have a place to sleep.

winona said:
Winnebago Trend -- half the width of the permanent bed is storage reached by raising the foot of the bed.  That compartment extends into the outside basement.  To me it would be feasible to remove the bed and put in a floor and workspace.  You'd lose all but the lower part of that basement storage which would be accessible from the outside.  The 23L model has the loft bed so you would still have a place to sleep.

Thanks! Will keep an eye out for that model. So far I'm shocked at the somewhat limited availability of smaller RVs in the SF Bay Area, and how quickly they go when advertised.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom