RV GPS opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gaylemike

I'm just curious about RV'ers on this site opinion on GPS units that are specifically labeled RV use. I know you can get a regular GPS for $80-300 or a RV GPS for $300-700..........my question is it really worth the $200-300 extra to get a designated RV GPS........I can afford to get either one but don't want to spend the extra money for no really good reason. Any opinions out there? Thanks in advance.  Mike

The RV GPS should allow you to enter the height and weight of your RV, so it supposedly won't route you onto roads where you don't fit. It also has RV specific POIs such as rest areas, campgrounds and dump stations.

Either way, never blindly trust a GPS. Always check the route with another source before taking it.

When I bought a new GPS last summer I split the difference and bought a Truck GPS, which is very similar to the RV model, just with a different database of campgrounds and attractions, and a few minor features.  Mine was a Garmin Dezl 770, overall I think it is great and I bought it on an ebay open box deal for half the price of the RV 770

I used a normal GPS for all ten years I full timed it and traveled the country. I never saw any need for an RV GPS. Most all of my driving was done on Interstates and they are all set up so that much taller semis could use the road. The only thing I ever hit with the top of the RV is some low hanging branches inside of cities which would not be found by a GPS.

If you're going to buy one, why not buy one setup for RV use? I bought a Garmin - RV 660LMT and really like it. They are less than $300.00 many places. RV or auto modes, well worth the extra for me. My buddy was so impressed with it after a trip with me he bought one, and he is computer challenged, never owned one. The 6" screen is large enough for me, but 7" might be better. It has bluetooth so hands free operation for the cellphone.

I agree with Charlie, the Garmin 660 is a good unit for the RV.  My wife / navigator uses it without a problem.  It is available from Garmin for about $329.  Amazon and other outlets offer the same unit for about $289.  The GPS Store (link below)  offers it for about $280.  Map updates are free and easy to do.

https://www.thegpsstore.com/Garmin-RV-660LMT-GPS-for-RVs-P4463.aspx

I've had a TomTom G0 60 for a few years.  This one features a planning app for my phone. 
I never actually messed with it, just entering routes straight into the GPS.  Played with it the other day because I was bored and discovered that if you plan a route in the app, you can chose between a car, a big truck or a walking route. When a big truck is chosen, the app lets you input height, length, width and weight. 
It must work because it actually changed my route to Zion NP when I added in the height of my coach.  Yes, I know about the tunnel.  I planned that route on purpose, just to see if it'd change if I went over the height of the tunnel.

Another vote for the Garmin RV660.  Love it.  I also print out directions from Google Maps as a "just in case". 

I got the Garmin RV770 and could not be happier.  The new screen is a significant upgrade over the RV660.

Whether you need an RV specific model is a personal choice.  Many of the RV model features such as the point of interest database can be added to regular models.  For smaller RVs the ability to block off roads that are too low is not a big issue.  My rig is 11' 6" so we can go just about anywhere.  If you have a bigger class A then of course that feature becomes more important.

For me the large, high resolution display of the RV 770 was the deciding factor, it is very easy to read without straining.  The RV specific features were just icing.  My copilot does daily planning and research on her phone or tablet while we drive which leaves the Garmin free to keep me going.  If we used the phone for navigation I am sure she would be using it for something else every time I needed directions.  The Garmin is worth it just to not have that argument.  :):)

I love my Garmin RV 760.  It operates in either car or RV mode.  It has different POI's including more camp grounds and RV repair locations.  Too many other great features to list!

grashley said:
I love my Garmin RV 760.  It operates in either car or RV mode.  It has different POI's including more camp grounds and RV repair locations.  Too many other great features to list!
Another vote for the 760.

We just found an RV 660 LMT on sale at Cabela's for a bit under $300, and used it for the first time on our last trip of the season.

So far, I love this thing!  Great POI list, beautiful screen, intuitive to operate once you learn the basics.  I got the Smartphone Link app, which gives better traffic and real-time weather forecasts and radar.  I also added another campground POI database, which was very simple using the Garmin POI importer tool. 

I found the navigation to be quite easy to follow, and I really love the "lane assist" feature.  Elevation charts were interesting, and the traffic seems to work quite well, especially via the Smartphone Link app.  Weather requires the app, BTW.  It can be a bit slow to load, but that didn't cause any headaches.  Very nice to get the temp right on the home screen, and I'll appreciate the severe weather alerts. 

I haven't used the hands-free phone functionality, but I have used the "voice command" features.  Reviews are pretty mixed about this, but I had no issues and thought it worked pretty darned well if you speak clearly and strongly.

As with any new GPS, do follow the strong recommendation to immediately run a map and OS update with the "Garmin Express" tool as soon as you take it out of the box.  In case you don't know, the "LMT" in the model name indicates lifetime map and traffic updates.  I would not buy another GPS without this. 

Safe travels.

danajdelarosa said:
Newbie question here,....are there any good smartphone apps that do the same thing as an RV GPS?

I use Google maps now. Have a TomTom but to upgrade the maps they were going to charge me $100. That's when I went to Google maps.

I have my I-phone on one side of the dash and my Garmin on the other side.  3 times the Garmin has taken me in the wrong direction but the I-phone with Maps has never let me down,,, guess which one I rely on ?

Peteyboy said:
I have my I-phone on one side of the dash and my Garmin on the other side.  3 times the Garmin has taken me in the wrong direction but the I-phone with Maps has never let me down,,, guess which one I rely on ?

How old is the Garmin? My first trip out this summer I relied on my phone using Google maps, Wrong on my part. The Google maps took me on 82 miles of back roads in Ark and Mo. That was enough for me. I bought the Garmin 660 and used it on two trips over 2400 miles and it never missed a beat. It tells you what lane to be in and tenths of a mile to the exit. My opinion, NO comparison between the Garmin and Google maps if you're in a MH. I'll save the phone for making calls and rely on my Garmin for navigation, a long with a road atlas.

My experience has been just the opposite.  I travel for work and Google Maps has an astonishing number of errors.  After several embarrassing misdirections I no longer use Maps for directions.  I use it for rough research on my laptop but for directions the Garmin has proven much more reliable for me.

One of the issues that cause people problems with the Garmin is not having it set up properly.  There are quite a few configurations that can have a big effect on where it directs you.  Read the manual and get it set up correctly for what you want to do.

That's why I never rely on GPS alone. I only use it to confirm the route that I mapped out before leaving the driveway.

Back
Top Bottom