2001 Itisca Horizon 36L - WHAT IS THIS?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menke1

I just recently bought a 2001 Itisca Horizon 36L and was wondering what the  - "Automatic Winterizing System" with By-Pass & Winterize switch does exactly? There's nothing in the owners manual about it.
Thanks, Doug

Attachments

• rv.jpg
    rv.jpg
    342.1 KB · Views: 56
I think it is exactly what it says it is. However I would not trust my plumbing to a 17 year old system, especially since Googling Automatic Winterizing System didn't find a lot of information about it.

Perhaps not all you might hope it to be.

"Bypass" is a remote control (solenoid operated) valve that shuts off water flow through the heater and lets cold water bypass it and flow to the hot faucets. The heater tank still needs to be drained and you still have to deal with the water in the pipes somehow, cause it can still freeze. See the next paragraph...

As I understand it, "Winterize" switches the pump intake from the tank to an alternate inlet so you can use it to suck RV potable water antifreeze from a jug. That is handy if you are using the antifreeze method of free-proofing your water lines. The other method involves pushing all the water out with air pressure, called the air blow-out method. In either method, you have some additional manual fiddling to do with things like ice maker, washer/dryer, toilets, etc.

Neither of these is the full job of winterizing the water system - you also to put some antifreeze in the drain traps and waste tanks.

There is an overview of winterizing needs in the RVForum Library at http://www.rvforum.net/joomla/index.php/27-maintenance-items/206-winterize-your-rv

So if the standard plumbing is bypassed to allow the water pump to draw in the anti freeze, all plumbing upstream would still have water in the lines? Fresh water tank and feed lines to the pump.

You would still have to manually pour anti freeze into the fresh water tank and purge that line separately?

So if the standard plumbing is bypassed to allow the water pump to draw in the anti freeze, all plumbing upstream would still have water in the lines?

Yes. You still have to pump enough antifreeze through the lines to protect them.

You would still have to manually pour anti freeze into the fresh water tank and purge that line separately?

Just drain the tank. 

Water actually expands about 8% as it turns to ice, roughly from 39 degrees down to 32. Freeze damage occurs when water is in a tight space and has no room to expand. An open water tank that is more-or-less empty should suffer no damage because the water has plenty of room to expand as it freezes. Likewise for waste tanks.  However, adding some antifreeze will give some further peace of mind.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom