in line water filter...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mauleman

just picked up our ,new to us, 2008 la palma diesel 34... spent the weekend cleaning and polishing and detailing... in checking the water system i attempted to change the in line water filter which is installed behind our waste drains... a really dumb place to put it but that's another matter.... I unscrewed the filer bowl and looked at the filter cartridge which seemed new and not used... it was pristine and there was no residue in the bowl or even a drop of water... that was when I noticed the winterization bypass hose in front of the filter and there was no hose connected to the filter itself either the intake or outtake ends... I get the impression this filter was never hooked up at all ... I contemplated disconnecting the winterization bypass hose and connecting the filter but the water lines are hard plastic and not bendable back to the filter  connections.. i also contemplated relocating the filter to a more accessable location not behind the black and gray water drains where i can work on it... my question is this .. should there be a flexible hose to the filter or should I try forcing the plastic hoses to the intake and exit ports on the filter...

If it is mounted there with no hoses running to it, the previous owner may have removed them and never reinstalled for some reason. It sounds like the perfect time to move it to a more accessible location. Forcing the hard plastic lines that are already there may cause them to break. I would probably "T" off of them instead to hook it up in its new location.

Monaco made a pretty good unit, so I would expect you have a well built unit as long as the maintenance was done.

thanks Marty  thats what i figured but being a newby at this thought i would ask.. wasn't too keen on forcing plastic to do anything.. can't immagine why they mounted this filter directly behind the holding tank drains.. almost impossible to get at...

Our 2004 La Palma came with a filter under the sink that went to the icemaker in the Norcold refrigerator. I turned the water line off as we don't use the ice maker. A year or so later someone turned the water back on while it was in for service. Time went on and one day I had water running out of the coach on the passenger side.

That's when I discovered someone turned the water back on and the thin white plastic line taking water to the ice maker developed a pin hole leak. That line is now totally disconnected!!

So a previous owner may have removed the connections for the same reason. If you do hook it up the water line runs to the refrigerator down under the refrigerator in the cold air return for the furnace. That's where my leak was. There have been a few other posts about that line developing pin hole leaks. 

Thanks Arch, I bought a inline filter, culligan , that goes on the city water faucet an then out to the hose connected to the coach.. i guess it will do the same function as the mounted one in the coach till i have the time to delve into the matter further...

Back
Top Bottom