Heading to the FloridaKeys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Prior member

I tried on another forum and didn't get any replies so I figured I would try here:

Leaving next Saturday and will be driving through Florida Sunday.
Is there any road construction on I-95 from Jacksonville to Miami?

And, How is the traffic on 95 or the Turnpike between Fort Lauderdale and Miami on a Sunday.

We normally go down I-75, but are thinking of trying I-95 this time.

Jack L

I avoid I95 like the plague. I go US1 and US301 to Ocala then the turnpike. But I'm never in a hurry. But it sounds like you are if you're trying to get there in two days. Traffic on the turnpike extension on Sundays is usually pretty heavy.
Please drive safely.

It will be interesting to see how much southbound traffic you have going into the keys. After Irma I am not sure if places are fully recovered and operating at full capacity. Like Chas says, I am sure I95 will be busy even on Sunday.

I came down I-95 from Jacksonville to I-4 about two weeks ago and it was real early in the morning like O-Dark Thirty. The road was great and there didn't appear to be any construction going on. Then again is was also a Saturday morning. Going through Orlando was the pits. Lot's of construction there.

Im sooooooo jealous i love the keys heaven on earth - we got just above freezing yesterday 33f or 1 degree celcius this cold sucks , washed the truck to get the snow and ice off, froze again before i could finish drying it.

There is always construction on the Interstates in Florida but if you time it right to miss Orlando morning or evening traffic, you should be fine. Also be sure to check with the campgrounds you want to visit as lots of them are still closed for repairs. I was down there last week and there's still lots of cleanup going on.

ChasA said:
I avoid I95 like the plague. I go US1 and US301 to Ocala then the turnpike. But I'm never in a hurry. But it sounds like you are if you're trying to get there in two days. Traffic on the turnpike extension on Sundays is usually pretty heavy.
Please drive safely.

Your way is the way we normally go when we are pulling our trailer, and like you, we stop in Rv parks along the way, but this time we are using a motel, so want to do it in two days.

jack L

wijames2002 said:
There is always construction on the Interstates in Florida but if you time it right to miss Orlando morning or evening traffic, you should be fine. Also be sure to check with the campgrounds you want to visit as lots of them are still closed for repairs. I was down there last week and there's still lots of cleanup going on.

I won't be near Orlando or I-4,  I-4 at Orlando is the pits and I keep away from there.

I have no worry about any campground closures. We will be using a motel(s), and we own our own RV lot in Key largo.

Jack L

JackL said:
I won't be near Orlando or I-4,  I-4 at Orlando is the pits and I keep away from there.

I have no worry about any campground closures. We will be using a motel(s), and we own our own RV lot in Key largo.

Jack L

I-4 was just designated as the most dangerous highway in America with the section in Orlando being the worse.  There is still construction in Jacksonville on I-95 thru town and at Daytona near the I-4 exchange. I dont know of anything south of Daytona. Google maps will pinpoint construction areas.

catblaster said:
I-4 was just designated as the most dangerous highway in America with the section in Orlando being the worse.  There is still construction in Jacksonville on I-95 thru town and at Daytona near the I-4 exchange. I dont know of anything south of Daytona. Google maps will pinpoint construction areas.

Good info.
Thanks,

Jack L

I-95 not too bad and mostly 6 lanes (3 ea side) or better all the way south. Construction at the I-95/I-4 junction at Daytona and south to Port Orange, not bad but take it easy thru that area. Crazy idiots don't slow down and lots of fender benders. Another area of construction from just north of Palm Bay to north of Vero Beach. Two lanes with 60 mph speed limit for a short distance but no problem. For an RV to the Keys, stay off I-95 south of Palm Beach. Get on turnpike at Jupitor or North Palm Beach then Sawgrass Expressway (869) west and then south to I-75 and then turnpike again south to Florida City. You could stay on the turnpike all the way down but will run into heavy Ft Lauderdale/Miami traffic.

I-95 south of Palm Beach to Miami is a zoo 24/7. IMHO, I-75 from GA south to Orlando/Naples is also a zoo and I avoid like the plague. Problem with turnpike from Orlando south to Palm Beach is only 2 lanes each side and few exits to bypass routes if wrecks cause slowdowns or stops.

Back
Top Bottom