Pulling the Trigger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fjhill

Greetings! After dreaming, studying, and reading this forum for 3 years, we've signed a purchase agreement to buy a 2015 Newmar Dutchstar 4369 with less than 8,000 miles.  Carfax looks OK, though it has changed hands a couple of times.  It looks like it was originally sold in Naples, FL in March of '15 with 1,300 miles (Delivery, I guess.)  Then it was Titled in Tennessee with 1,475 miles in Dec. '16  (How'd they do that?)  Now, it's at Dixie RV in Hammond, LA (just North of N. O.)

It has 1 year (I was told) on the Chassis warrantee, which of course is "less powertrain."  Also, Dixie is "giving" us a "Forever Warrantee" on all coach components.  From posts on this forum, I've gathered that these are pretty much worthless.  Opinions and experience with these would be appreciated.

I am also working with an NRVIA inspector to arrange a thorough inspection to include fluid analyses on engine, and generator.  I don't know what more I can do to be a prudent purchaser.

Any thoughts or experience with Dixie, warrantees, inspections, etc. would be greatly appreciated.  Wife and I are going full time ASA we get the MH and sell the house.  We look forward to meeting many of you on the road.  We are so excited!

Cummins engine and Allison Transmission each have their own warranty, 5 years & 50k miles.  The "basic chassis", not including the afore-mentioned power trailer components, has a 3 year warranty, so probably one year left on yours. However, frame rails, cross members, etc. are also a 5 year warranty.    So the 3 year limit basically applies to suspension. air system and that sort of thing. Make sure the chassis warranty is transferred to you, with the mileage shown on the transfer document. I know Freightliner Custom Chassis has a form for this, and I suspect Spartan does too. I think you can DIY if the dealer doesn't, but they should file the paperwork for you.

Not sure if a 2015 is FCCC or Spartan chassis, but they are competitive with each other.  Here is the FCCC warranty coverage:
https://www.fcccrv.com/parts-and-service/warranty/

Is the "forever warranty" this one? If so, not "worthless" but also a lot less valuable than the sales people would have you believe. The biggest gotcha is the requirement that all specified maintenance be performed at professional service facilities.

http://www.rvwarrantyforever.com/whats-covered/
http://www.rvwarrantyforever.com/maintenance/

As Gary says, I think those forever warranties force you into periodic maintenance at their mercy for quality of work and schedule, so in the end, I think they are more the benefactors that you.  If you actually followed some of those maintenance schedules your rig would never leave the shop.

OK!  Thanks Gary, Brad, Dory,

Yes, the Forever Warrantee is like these.

Gary, you are a wealth of information and I've enjoyed your many posts of help for so many eager newbies like me.  We can't thank you enough.

I'm gathering that on this coach all I need to do is assure that the "specified maintenance" has been done and I'm covered.  Then, should I have the inspection ($1,100-1,200) done?  I'm thinking maybe not.

Jerry

Thanks, Gary and SeilerBird,  I agree with you both.  No further inspection needed.  Warrantees are Factory on the chassis and they are giving/including the Forever Warrantee on the coach.  Going to get it Monday morning...it's been a long time coming.  Thanks again for your help.  I'm sure I'll need more.
Jerry

fjhill said:
Thanks, Gary and SeilerBird,  I agree with you both.  No further inspection needed.  Warrantees are Factory on the chassis and they are giving/including the Forever Warrantee on the coach.  Going to get it Monday morning...it's been a long time coming.  Thanks again for your help.  I'm sure I'll need more.
Jerry
I would still pay a few hundred and have it inspected. If you don't and there is a major problem it will really ruin your day. You can find a mobile RV mechanic on Craigslist.

Best thing you can do is overnight or 3 ON the dealers lot.

Make them fix anything that is not right.
Once you drive it away it's much harder to say this wasn't right when we picked it up.
Not to mention trying to get an appointment which would be weeks or months away - but if you
refused to leave until everything was fixed they might want to get you out of there so they would work on it now.

Just doing an inspection and then driving away is no guarantee that everything works like it should.
Most people won't take a shower while the dealer is waiting.  But how do you know if there are any problems if you don't use it?

Thanks to all. Doing self inspections tomorrow and spending the night in coach on their lot. I?ll let you know how it goes.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom