Do you camp over holidays? what is it like?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Graycat

Is it like camping any other time of the year, or there lots of groups who get together to celebrate?  Since we are going to be alone this year, I thought it'd be fun to get away and go camping.  But I think I'd feel lonely eating hamburgers at a campsite if most people are with big groups having a part.  iykwim.

When our son was younger we seemed to always hit the holiday weekends due to him being out of school on those days, so therefore all vacations seemed to revolve around holidays. 

Now we try to avoid the holiday weekends as too many people/crowds.

Mike

This depends entirely on the campground, some have excellent holiday programs and get-togethers, others no change from normal routine.

Call and ask!

I suppose it depends which holiday you are talking about summer ones are very busy, winter ones as are coming up vary a lot depending where you are.

I really enjoy camping on Thanksgiving weekend.  Do the festivities with family on Thanksgiving day, then head to the RV park for the rest of the long weekend.  It is an "off season" for most areas so there are far fewer people.

We love our family tradition of Christmas on the beach.

If you mean the ?big? holidays (Thanksgiving and Christmas), we are doing our first Thanksgiving camping this year. Family is traveling, and I didn?t want to stay home and do a restaurant meal for just the two of us. We made reservations yesterday for a (hopefully) nice park for the entire week. I already bought a small smoked ham, and I will make some sweet potatoes and a pumpkin cheesecake. I don?t have any expectation of group activities, but I won?t turn them down if there are some.

I've been spending Thanksgiving weekend camping on the Gulf coast in Florida for the last 3 years. I moved to Georgia from Kansas seven years ago, and have no family close enough to visit for a weekend.

I've spent a couple of Christmas through New Years holidays camping near Savannah when I didn't go to my sisters house back in Kansas. Going to Skidaway Island again this holiday season.

Just getting harder and harder to go any further north during the winter as I get older. ;)

We have recently started camping at a semi-local campground over the July 4th holiday but not because we enjoy being with the crowd.  We camp in Branson, Mo and there is tons of entertainment there and lots of places for tourists to visit.  BUT the reason we make reservations a year in advance is because of what we would have to go through at our home.  We live in a middle income subdivision. Decent homes but some of the occupants are somewhat lacking in respect for their neighbors.  Across the street is a house with a Russian family including children who are grown adults.  They think July 4th (and the week before and after) is the best time to blow up the neighborhood with firecrackers and what sound like bombs (rattle the pictures on our wall).  Our three animals are petrified of the noise.  We have had the city police talk to them each year but as soon as they leave they go back to the same antics - forgot to mention that on July 4 they invite about 20 other Russian friends to join the party. So two years ago we decided just to bail out and 'go camping.'  Since our son works at a Branson theater, he do get some free tickets to shows and also have season passes to Silver Dollar City. But normally our camping in Branson is done during slow periods or during the middle of the week.  Sorry for the long reply but your question just tripped my trigger...............lol

Bill

This will be our first holiday camping trip. Parents all gone, kids and grandkids are doing their own thing. We are packing up the horses and dogs and going horse camping. We will stay at the camp ground all 4 days and cook a small turkey roll and fix'ins in the trailer. Really looking forward to it.

skeeter

For the last 5 years, we've camped over Thanksgiving, Christmas, New years and during Easter but that's not a holiday. You see, we're in FL for the winter.  ;D  Don't miss having to shovel snow. We FaceTime the kids and grandchildren and talk to them on the phone every other day or so.

I never did come back to report back.  We went to a state park for Christmas and had it almost completely to ourselves.  Except for a few days of freezing weather, it was a great trip.

As fulltimers, we're always "camping"" somewhere during holidays, but some, like July 4th, we make sure we're at a park such as the NY state parks that do not allow fireworks. The parks are always filled, but the larger sites tend to keep down the noise, and the park rangers are pretty good about enforcing quiet times and order with increased patrols. Next week we'll be at a NYS park on the St Lawrence Seaway for the Labor Day holiday week, and if it follows the usual pattern, there will be a number of kids on bicycles riding the roads during the day, but once evening arrives, they'll be back on their sites and relatively quiet until their bedtime. If the neighbors closest to our site are too noisy, we'll just tell them to quiet down or they can cook their own breakfast in the morning instead of mom and dad doing it on our site. ;)

Sometimes you just have to go the "tough love" route, Gordon! And since our twins turned 51 a couple of weeks ago, threatening to spank them doesn't work any more...  :eek: ;D

NY_Dutch said:
Sometimes you just have to go the "tough love" route, Gordon! And since our twins turned 51 a couple of weeks ago, threatening to spank them doesn't work any more...  :eek: ;D
No, but you can threaten to send them to their room without dinner. ;D

I never posted our results from last Thanksgiving either. The folks at the campground we were in were very nice. There was a big campground wide Thanksgiving dinner. One resident made a turkey, and everyone else brought side dishes and deserts. It was a fun lunch. Too bad the campground itself wasn?t very good.

UTTransplant said:
I never posted our results from last Thanksgiving either. The folks at the campground we were in were very nice. There was a big campground wide Thanksgiving dinner. One resident made a turkey, and everyone else brought side dishes and deserts. It was a fun lunch. Too bad the campground itself wasn?t very good.
That reminded me of Thanksgiving in 2011 at a campground at Lake Elsinore in California. Around 10 am there was a knock on the door. I opened it and was handed a bag from KFC full of chicken, mashed potatoes and rolls. Enough to feed me for a few days. No explanation, just handed me the bag and said Happy Thanksgiving. I looked out the front window and there was a pickup truck full of KFC bags and I watched them stop at the next RV. The cool thing is the bag was very useful. I used it for 5 years as a bag to transport my towels and soap to the showers since I did not have a working shower in my RV. The gift that keeps on giving.  :))

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom