New RV park owner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Scanning the posts I do not see a mention of wire size. If a novice thinks all they need to do is swap a 50 amp breaker for the 30 amp it does not work that way. Wire size (minimum size per the NEC) and maybe even a larger size wire to handle voltage drop for wires running any distance from the main panel.

I do not understand why any licensed electrician wouldn't be able to figure this out. If they can't they should not be licensed.

If you are renting out spaces you will want your electrician to get permits and an electrical inspection by your local jurisdiction to prove all work was done to code in case tragedy strikes your campers. 

LarsMac said:
Sometimes, people are presented with an opportunity, and they take it. Then, study up on how to make the most of it.
We did that with a B&B. We had a lot to learn, and it was a lot of work. We learned what we needed to and had a great adventure.

Never let not knowing get in the way of doing.

Now THAT is the quote for the day! - Or longer

Rbuff said:
Thanks for all of the input. We have 7 cabins and 6 RV spots but are interested in converting 2 spots to 50 amp, at this time. We are located on Lake Sam Rayburn in the Angelina National Forest, in East Texas.

We'll be coming through that way on our way to Florida some time in the early Spring. Save us a 30A slot

RBuff,

It is an exciting idea, IMO, on the route you have taken for a business.

I for one would love to hear updates about your experience with the power upgrades and other facets of the business as time goes on.

Any room for 40 footer (and up) motorhomes?

Good luck and please keep us posted.

BRex
-----------

Rbuff said:
Thanks for all of the input. We have 7 cabins and 6 RV spots but are interested in converting 2 spots to 50 amp, at this time. We are located on Lake Sam Rayburn in the Angelina National Forest, in East Texas.

Hey, I'm an Okie in OK City. I may have to venture down your way some time and take a look. I am a licensed electrician (contractor).......and I do understand RV electric. It's the same as any other electric.

I too am an electrical contractor in Oklahoma and what some of you folks are telling these people, that 2 50 amp legs is a 100 amp service is WROOOONG. It's still just 50 amp, yes you may be able to carry 50 amps on each leg but you'll only have the unbalanced load through the neutral. You cannot put an amp meter on any leg of a 50 amp circuit and see 100 amp draw, if you do the breaker is going to trip.  Bottom line, a 50 amp circuit is only a 50 amp circuit whether it is a single pole, 2 pole or 3 pole (3 phase) breaker is only 50 amps. A 3 pole 50 won't give you a 150 amp circuit. A 50 is only 50.

No one said that 2 50 amp legs are a 100 amp service. This is what was said:

"...but instead the load is spread nearly equally between one 'hot" and the neutral and the other "hot" and the neutral, giving 100 total amps of 120v power."

And that is absolutely correct.

I totally disagree, it's just 2 single 50 amp legs of power, not a 100. Just like a 3 phase 50 amp is just 3 single 50 amp legs, not a total of 150 amps. Put an amp meter on any leg and only see 50, period. I'll argue this point till the cows come home.

mralex said:
I totally disagree, it's just 2 single 50 amp legs of power, not a 100. Just like a 3 phase 50 amp is just 3 single 50 amp legs, not a total of 150 amps. Put an amp meter on any leg and only see 50, period. I'll argue this point till the cows come home.

If I connect a 50 amp load to one leg and a 50 amp load to the other leg, what would you say is the total load capacity of the service?

Quit overthinking and trying to work the numbers to satisfy a discussion. As I said before, think about available watts. 30 amp, 120 volts is 3600 watts, and 50 amp, 240 volt is 12,000 watts. And don't keep trying to tell me 50 amp service is not 240 volts, because it is. It's the same exact 50 amp, 240 volt service that runs the electric range in your kitchen.

NY_Dutch said:
If I connect a 50 amp load to one leg and a 50 amp load to the other leg, what would you say is the total load capacity of the service?
Don't bother arguing with this guy, he is clueless. He is arguing with himself. No one is saying what he is saying.

If he was going to have ten 50-amp pedestals (sites) on a single run, wouldn't the line have to be able to carry at least 1,000 amps or 24kw at a bare minimum?  I could see the OP having the pedestals wired for 50 amp service but not have an adequate power source (feedline to the main disconnect) and an undersized line feeding the pedestals.

OBX said:
If he was going to have ten 50-amp pedestals (sites) on a single run, wouldn't the line have to be able to carry at least 1,000 amps or 24kw at a bare minimum?  I could see the OP having the pedestals wired for 50 amp service but not have an adequate power source (feedline to the main disconnect) and an undersized line feeding the pedestals.
I think they would each have to have their own run back to the main panel and each one on a separate circuit.

It's legal to run , it's either 8 or 9, pedestals off of a 200 amp breaker. It's been too many years since I've done the calculations, and quoted the NEC code requirements to explain it all. It doesn't seem like it would work, but apparently it's good enough to meet code.

Back
Top Bottom