?How bad is towing at high RPM?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeNNRV

Towed my travel trailer round trip to Ohio this weekend. Pulling through the mountains of West Virginia, Pilot struggled under cruise control to maintain safe interstate speed. When I stood on the accelerator it did better, but sometimes would downshift and RPM jumped to about 6k; not in the red zone, but high.
?Is this damaging to the engine or transmission? How bad is this? How long can one drive in this high RPM situation?

Not very long. That is way too big and way to heavy to be towing with an SUV. You need a pickup truck. If it were me I would be shopping 3/4 ton trucks before you blow up the Honda and it needs an engine and/or tranny.

SeilerBird said:
Not very long. That is way too big and way to heavy to be towing with an SUV. You need a pickup truck. If it were me I would be shopping 3/4 ton trucks before you blow up the Honda and it needs an engine and/or tranny.

Or at least a 1/2 ton with a lot of payload capacity. 3/4 ton ton would be better towing around those mountains. I find it hard to believe your Honda actually lasted the trip. Not only is it hard on the drivetrain, you're severely overloaded with that Cherokee. Enough so so that it's dangerous.

kdbgoat said:
Or at least a 1/2 ton with a lot of payload capacity. 3/4 ton ton would be better towing around those mountains. I find it hard to believe your Honda actually lasted the trip. Not only is it hard on the drivetrain, you're severely overloaded with that Cherokee. Enough so so that it's dangerous.
The reason I suggested a 3/4 is to future proof yourself. Eventually you will want to upgrade to a bigger unit and at that time you would also need to upgrade the truck too. It is a lot cheaper to get a much larger truck to begin with.

I agree that 6000 rpm's should not be maintained very long. You might want to change the transmission fluid sooner than scheduled. I speak of experience with my previous Pilot.

Pilot maximum tow weight is 4500 lbs. How much did the trailer weigh.

DO NOT TOW USING CRUISE CONTROL.

Repeat ten times.  It may be alright on level ground but NOT ascending.  You really stressed that poor Honda.

ArdraF

MikeNNRV said:
to maintain safe interstate speed. When I stood on the accelerator it did better,

If you were trying to drive over 60mph you were driving too fast.
Most all trailer tires are rated at a max speed of 65mph.

There in no reason you should be standing on the accelerator.

RedandSilver said:
There in no reason you should be standing on the accelerator.

There was when he was pulling way more than he should have been with a Honda Pilot. ;D

kdbgoat said:
There was when he was pulling way more than he should have been with a Honda Pilot. ;D

That's only because he wanted to do the speed limit or more. 
Something his Pilot was not capable of without super high RPM's but decided to go for it anyways.  ;D

RedandSilver said:
That's only because he wanted to do the speed limit or more. 
Something his Pilot was not capable of without super high RPM's but decided to go for it anyways.  ;D

Please note that this is an unfair assumption.  Note in my original post I state "safe highway speed."

kdbgoat said:
That trailer grosses at 7500#+

GVWR for trailer is 4700 Lbs, not 7500.
It was lightly loaded for a quick up and back.
Unloaded weight is 4290, so let's assume I was running 4600 Lbs.
Rating on the Pilot hitch label is 4800 Lbs.

And, just for conversation purposes, I posed the same question to a Pilot forum and received the opposite reaction

MikeNNRV said:
Please note that this is an unfair assumption.  Note in my original post I state "safe highway speed."

That tells us NOTHING.  What speed were you doing or trying to do?

AND YES I did notice that in your post.  Did you not notice I quoted it???

Ill one up Tom suggestion to get a 3/4 and just go for 1 ton. Prices are similar. they are similar and size but have higher payload and towing, esp with diesel.

MikeNNRV said:
GVWR for trailer is 4700 Lbs, not 7500.
It was lightly loaded for a quick up and back.
Unloaded weight is 4290, so let's assume I was running 4600 Lbs.
Rating on the Pilot hitch label is 4800 Lbs.

And, just for conversation purposes, I posed the same question to a Pilot forum and received the opposite reaction

Please look at these examples:

http://www.precisionunibody.com/2006CherokeeTT25dd.html

http://www.gansenautoandrv.com/rv/forestriver/traveltrailer/280/Forest_River_Cherokee_25DD+

http://www.usednanaimo.com/classified-ad/2006--Cherokee-Lite-BH_27227087

All three have a GVWR of 7500 pounds +, and two show an unloaded weight of 4763#

Mountains...Towing ....Max GVW ....and... Cruise control

really ?  :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom