When would I need to use ...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Copnrobr

We recently purchased a RuePower 6/3+8/1 36 foot 50 amp RV Power Cord w/ Twist Lock Locking Connector on Amazon.
It was not what we needed. We needed a 50Amp extension cord and now we are not sure what to do with this $170 twist lock cord. It does not fit the motorhome and the place we scrambled to get the extension cord from said the twist lock can be used at RV parks. Not sure how we could use it.
We bought it back in September and when I went to Amazon to try to return it, there was no option to do this.
My question:
What is it for and do you have to have a twist lock for something if it doesn't connect to the motorhome?
Thanks

It looks as if you've got the wrong cable. You don't say what your motorhome is, but some motorhomes do, indeed, use that type of connector, while others use a different style. The end that plugs into the RV pedestal looks (in the Amazon picture) as if it is the standard 50 amp plug that most parks use -- it's only the end that attaches to the motorhome that is a problem.

But you said extension cord, so presumably you already have a cord that works, if the pedestal is close enough. This would mean that you need the female version of the 4-prong on the end that now has the twist lock. So you probably want something like this one.

Sorry that I can't help you with return, though.

If you need an extention cord just cut off the ends and replace with ones that you can use.>>>Dan  ( The money is in the cable,, the ends are cheap)

utahclaimjumper said:
If you need an extention cord just cut off the ends and replace with ones that you can use.>>>Dan  ( The money is in the cable,, the ends are cheap)

One end of the cord is probably the male end so all they would need to do is cut off the opposite end and put on a female 50 Amp plug.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-55353-Female-Replacement-Receptacle/dp/B00192QB9M/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1510602795&sr=8-3&keywords=50+amp+rv+female+plug&dpID=41gaedKQ%252BbL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

If you are doing it yourself for the first time - make sure you note which wire goes where. You can really make sparks....

Yeap, cut off the twist lock and replace with a 50A female receptacle. Here's one example (I'm sure you can find one on Amazon too)

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/power-grip-50-amp-replacement-female-receptacle/54492

There is no place in a campground to use the twist lock end - that is for attaching to an RV.  Some RVs have detachable power cords and what you have is a replacement for one of them.  You bought a "detachable power cord" rather than an "extension".

I'm surprised you're having trouble returning this cord. Amazon has always had a pretty good reputation for handling returns, even when bought from one of their authorized retailers not Amazon itself. I would try to contact Amazon's customer service and see what they can do.

Sounds like you missed the return window.

You can resale it on Amazon. I have resold new and used stuff there.

Somewhere on the product page is "Have one to sale?" You hit yet and fill out the details, name your price and they email you when it sells. You ship it right away and get your payment from Amazon.

Found the sell button.

Go to product page, on right side where it reads add to cart, just scroll down until you see "Have one to sell?"

Next to that is button for SELL ON AMAZON

I have sold as well as bought used on Amazon.

I too would contact amazon about returning it before I did anything else.
they have options for online chat or they will call you.... find the button to contact amazon.

then if they will not accept the return, I agree....swap the end(s) to what you need.

To answer your question though, I think those twist locks are most often used in marine applications....and industrial

but, I'd bet that even though you missed the return window, amazon will work with you, especially if the cord has not been used....

Back
Top Bottom