PacBrake - Dash mounted or Stick Shift mounted switch?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JayPeeWhy

Hi

I am installing a PacBrake and wanted some views on whether a dash mounted switch is just as good as the PacBrake shifter mounted variant. I didn't really want something stuck to my shifter with a wire snaking down it. I appreciate the convenience might win over some though, especially if constantly being switched on and off.

Is it a pain to have the PacBrake switch dash mounted? Or not real difference either way? I don't foresee me constantly switching the brake on and off but then I have never had one so ...

I have all the components to install a PacBrake on my 2003 Dodge/Cummins 3500 and just have not "gotten around to it" yet.  I definitely want to mount the switch on the shifter.  You can run the wire up through the boot and make it look nice.  I have seen several installs done that way.  Keeps the switch in easy reach, where your hand often is anyway.

Both PacBrake and Jake Brakes are easier if the switch can be put on the floor.  Our PacBrake switch was to the left of the driver and I often fumbled trying to find the correct switch and that sometimes required looking down to the left over the armrest.  When we got the Jake we had it placed on the floor where the left foot can turn it on/off.  When we learned to drive (in the dinosaur age) all cars had a high beam light switch on the floor so you just pressed it with your left foot to turn the light higher.  This is the same principle.  Make it as easily reached as possible and as fumble-proof as possible!

ArdraF

Mine is mounted on the dash. Its the first switch in line. I find it quite fine there. I generally only use the engine brake for large hills or off ramps. Regular braking I do without it, so its not like you are constantly turning it off and on. Also my cruise control cuts off as soon as the pacbrake engages, so I dont leave it on while travelling on the highway.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
I think it's personal preference.It's not necessary to be switching it on/off all the time, but some people like to exercise more active control than others.

Depends on the coach, Gary. On our Beaver, the cruise control wouldn't work with the compression brake on. On our Ventana, the brake can be left on all the time, except when the sign says "no Jakes."

On our Beaver, the cruise control wouldn't work with the compression brake on.

Sure, but that still doesn't mean you have to be switching it on/off all the time. Leave it off, or leave it on, as the default whichever you prefer, but its not something most drivers find a need to change moment by moment.  And not at every gear shift either.

One question might be whether this add-on kit is inter-connected with the brake & accelerator pedals, i.e. does the exhaust brake engage when he brakes and disengage when he pushes the go-pedal again.  If the exhaust brake is only manually activated via a switch, then it does indeed get switched somewhat more often.  A floor pushbutton is the most convenient way I've seen of handling that type of interface.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chaderic
Back
Top Bottom