Honda CR-V Toad weird noise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

8Muddypaws

Our Toad is a 2008 Honda CR-V with about 70K miles on it.  I know there are a lot of CR-V toads out there so I'll ask this question here.

In the last week it has been intermittently making a very loud popping noise from the passenger side of the dash.  It actually sounds like popcorn.  I've found nothing helpful online so far.

Has anybody else had this issue?

Thanks,
Russ

Does it do it all the time or only when turning? It could be a bad front shock strut bearing noise.  Just fixed a similar problem on my Granddaughters Mini but it only made the popping sound when turning.

The noise is from just behind the glove box.  Barely audible from under the hood.  Car is not moving, and not in gear.

Maybe a part of the ductwork popping? How hard is it to remove the glovebox? I haven't pulled a glovebox out in years, but it used to be pretty simple.

It still is.  The sound seems to be coming from above the main squirrel cage blower just to the left of the circulation filter.

I wonder if it could be some flutter in the gate that open and closes for fresh air/recirculate?  Does it do it on both options?  Fan on and Fan off?

8Muddypaws said:
It still is.  The sound seems to be coming from above the main squirrel cage blower just to the left of the circulation filter.

have you taken the squirrel cage fan out?  I had a Dodge truck that would get a leaf or acorn in it somehow and make a heck of a racket.

Had a similar in my Lexus that would occur when you ran the dual temperature down it would start clicking.  Turned out to be a gear box in the dash controls. $400 later it is now quiet.

So does playing with the temerature controls affect it?

The only thing that seems to effect it is the general temperature.  I've turned the. Heating / cooling. System completely off and it keeps popping

On a cold morning it pops for a long time.  Once warmed it only does it for a few seconds when the car is restarted.

That is the area the cabin air filter is located. Try pulling the cabin air filter and seeing if anything is rubbing on the blower. I don't know on yours but my filter is under the glove box. Let us know what you find.
Bill

Our CRV has two glove boxes and the filter is more or less between them.  I'll try that tomorrow but I'm thinking that if something was rubbing on the filter it would not be an intermittent noise.  The squirrel cage runs almost all the time.

It is a Blend Door Actuator, google it.  Basically electronic motor that opens and closes HVAC doors.  I've replaced a couple on my GM, and I googled and yours has them as well.  Some are hard to get to, way up in dash.  Some are easy as pie, 2 screws and a plug in.  They have plastic gears inside and start to strip.  That is what you are hearing, the plastic gears slipping.  Even if you completely turn off HVAC system, they still can be trying to close a door and slip etc. 

Here is a you tube video that shows the item on a 2003 cr-v.  The video doesn't show how he accessed it but it does make a sound you can compare to the sound yours makes.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=blend+door+actuator%2c+honda+cr-v&view=detail&mid=966EA80B33FEE637B941966EA80B33FEE637B941&FORM=VIRE

Not even close to the sound.  It's like a machine gun.  But I can't even look at it today.  It's raining like crazy here

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom