Honda 2000i tripping breaker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cygnussailor

I have a new Honda 2000i that I just tried to use with my 5th wheel for the first time.  We were traveling to Oklahoma from Michigan and stopped for a quick overnight at a Walmart.  We have a small microwave that we wanted to use to heat up some food for dinner.  The DC plug was still connected between the truck and 5th wheel, for what that's worth.  I used a 15-to-30 amo converter then a 30-to-50 amp converter on the Honda so I could use the same cord I would use at a campground to get electricity to the unit, so the whole camper had power, however as far as I know the only significant AC we were using was the microwave, but the breaker on the generator would keep tripping.  I believe the microwave is only 900 watts so the generator should have been able to handle it easily.  Does anyone have an idea as to why the generator apparently couldn't handle the load?

Thanks for any help,

Gary

cygnussailor said:
I have a new Honda 2000i that I just tried to use with my 5th wheel for the first time.  We were traveling to Oklahoma from Michigan and stopped for a quick overnight at a Walmart.  We have a small microwave that we wanted to use to heat up some food for dinner.  The DC plug was still connected between the truck and 5th wheel, for what that's worth.  I used a 15-to-30 amo converter then a 30-to-50 amp converter on the Honda so I could use the same cord I would use at a campground to get electricity to the unit, so the whole camper had power, however as far as I know the only significant AC we were using was the microwave, but the breaker on the generator would keep tripping.  I believe the microwave is only 900 watts so the generator should have been able to handle it easily.  Does anyone have an idea as to why the generator apparently couldn't handle the load?

Thanks for any help,

Gary

Welcome to the forum. Just a tip when posting. You only need to post it in one section. If the moderator and staff feels it would get better exposure in another section, they'll move it.
Did you try shutting off all the circuit breakers except the one for the microwave?  You probably were also running your converter.  If you were running a light or two, the converter would have been recharging the battery. This is only a guess on my part. Others will chime in soon.

On my coach when the generator or shore power is attached the batteries start charging by default
and if they haven't been charged lately that draws some watts.
Was your water heater on?  How about the fridge?

The fridge is automatic.  As soon as it has electricity available it will switch to electricity.  Also we had been connected to shore power before this trip and had been using the water heater.  I can almost guarantee that I forgot to turn it off when we disconnected from power so that was two draws on the generator that I wasn't accounting for, and because I was tired and upset totally forgot about.  I feel really stupid admitting this, I put the blame squarely on old brain cells!!!  When I got back to the camper, it's in Alabama and I'm in Michigan, I was going to connect a meter that measures the number of watts being drawn.  It would have shown over 1000 watts if the refrigerator and water heater were on, probably a lot more than 1000, so that's almost assuredly the problem.

Thanks for the response,

Gary

cygnussailor said:
I can almost guarantee that I forgot to turn it off when we disconnected from power so that was two draws on the generator that I wasn't accounting for, and because I was tired and upset totally forgot about.  I feel really stupid admitting this, I put the blame squarely on old brain cells!!! 

Don't feel stupid. If you only had time to hear some of my stories and others. Yours was minor.

Watch that amp meter as you turn on the microwave, they have a very high draw when starting.

Our Honda 2000 runs the convection microwave in our motorhome without a problem.  We do however make sure the refrigerator is operating on gas and nothing else that requires a significant draw is turned on. 

First, welcome to the Forum!

Many of us have old brain cells, and we all have "occasional" issues.  Sometimes the questions and responses save us a lot of excess brain usage figuring out something simple.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom