EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Washer / Dryer vs Laundromat  (Read 2756 times)

kg4rpc

• ---
Washer / Dryer vs Laundromat
« on: November 13, 2017, 09:50:35 PM »
I realize this is going to be a subjective question but wanted to get opinions from full timers on whether a washer / dryer is a worthwhile compromise for the added weight and space or just use the laundromat?

Wi1dBill

• ---
Re: Washer / Dryer vs Laundromat
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 10:28:02 PM »
Wintering in AZ. we'll do laundry once a week at a cost of around $12 to $15. If you are lucky to get enough washers and dryers to do all your wash at once it will take 1 1/2 to 2 hours. What really PO people is when someone will use several machines and leave and come back a hour(s) later. That happen in a RV resort in  Cottonwood AZ last spring.  Finally went into town to another laundromat.   Another consideration is always needing quarters.

While our resort tries to keep the washers/dryers clean sometimes something is left in a machine and you'll have a piece of clothing ruined. 

With a washer/dryer in your rig you'll need to do smaller loads and since the dryer is only 110AC it will take longer to dry.  However, I think it is easier to keep up with the laundry if you're parked long term.  Just throw a load in, go do whatever.  Come back later, throw it in the dryer or hang it up in the shower.  That being said, I think there will still be times you will head to the laundromat for a load of towels, rugs and pet blankets.

If you're moving from place to place weekly or even every two weeks the laundromat would be the best bet.

Wi1dBi11

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 10:31:00 PM »
I realize this is going to be a subjective question but wanted to get opinions from full timers on whether a washer / dryer is a worthwhile compromise for the added weight and space or just use the laundromat?

This question is often asked and you can find those discussions using the search function. While some have chosen more space over having a washer/dryer, a majority prefer the convenience of having one. We use ours almost daily, even if only to freshen damp towels.
Scott
Fulltiming in a 2005 Newmar Dutch Star 3810, Spartan, Cat C7 350
Eezrv TPMS, VMSpc, 970W Solar, Tri-Metric Battery monitor
2002 Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab toad
Stowmaster towbar & Brakemaster toad braking system

donn

• ---
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 10:40:02 PM »
Not full timers, but we do spend summers camp hosting.  Have had a combo in the fiver for all its life.  Absolutely no regrets.  Yes, the loads are small, but put in a load, start it and come back i n a few hours and take out clean dry clothes.  Start another load and repeat.  We have on occasion done three loads in a day, but usually only one or two.  The key is do small loads often.  We usually do whites every three days, colors every other day.  Sheets, take two loads.  Same for towels.  BTW do not even consider a ventless.  Vented is the only way to go.

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 05:15:01 AM »
I had one of those Spendid W/D combinations in my DP and only used it a few times. Way too inconvenient and it didn't really do a great job of cleaning, plus it left the clothes wrinkled. I have used laundromats the rest of the time. There is no need for quarters at the laundromat I go to. The machines can all be used with plastic. No problem with people leaving their clothes in the machine since I get to the laundromat at opening time, 7:30 am, and the place is empty. I spend about $7 a month since I only go once a month.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Favorite 2017 shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/y0HbMU5KYa2hx02E3
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

Ernie n Tara

• ---
  • Life is Good - Together
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 06:58:55 AM »
You would have to pry Tara’s cold dead hands off her Splendide.  ;D

Ernie
Ernie 'n Tara

2011 Winn Journey 34y
2012 Jeep Rubicon - Dozer (orange - kinda)
2006 Jeep Wrangler

Dragginourbedaround

• ---
  • I look out the window and see trees, I'm camping
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 07:12:28 AM »
We opted to save space and weight and not have to put up with the vibration that we have felt in some of our friends rigs. We go to a laundry mat. We wash every ten days or so. The campground we are at for the winter is credit cards only and we love that, but most places it's quarters. We save quarters through the winter and have plenty for when we start traveling. You can also get quarters from the Cg office. You're going to get a lot of opinions from both sides on this issue, but it comes down to what you're comfortable with. Can't really say if our coach came with a w/d already installed if we wouldn't be happy with that. There would be a weight problem though. The side where the w/d would go already has the long slide, generator and refrigerator on it. It's already a problem trying to balance the weight.
Gene

2013 Winnebago Adventurer 37F
2011 Honda Fit

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Every day is payday and every payday I have off
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 07:12:47 AM »
You would have to pry Tara’s cold dead hands off her Splendide.  ;D

Ernie
 :o ::) :'(
Rene, Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2017, 07:36:06 AM »
I do about 3-4 loads a month, Using the campground machines (most CG's have 4.. One I visited had 1 of each but it was a small CG so I walked over every hour)

Cost is less than 10 bucks

When Wife was alive we did more laundry (about 2x) but we worked out the cost of a washer and dryer v/s the cost of laundomats,,, using Public (not park) Laundrys which tend to be more expensive, and came to the "Break Even" decision so we opted for the extra cargo capacity.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Every day is payday and every payday I have off
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 07:44:28 AM »
I do about 3-4 loads a month, Using the campground machines (most CG's have 4.. One I visited had 1 of each but it was a small CG so I walked over every hour)

Cost is less than 10 bucks

When Wife was alive we did more laundry (about 2x) but we worked out the cost of a washer and dryer v/s the cost of laundomats,,, using Public (not park) Laundrys which tend to be more expensive, and came to the "Break Even" decision so we opted for the extra cargo capacity.

You're probably correct on your numbers but in our situation, but for us, it's the convenience. 
Rene, Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

Heli_av8tor

• ---
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2017, 07:48:54 AM »
We got our coach in March and limited experience, only having spent 42 nights in it. The first 21 without a W/D and the second with the Splendide combo.
DW will never go back to laundromats.

Oh, there can be a little vibration. We haven't found it too annoying and certainly a small price for the convenience.
Tom & Theresa
2004 Pace Arrow 37C, Workhorse W22, 8.1 Vortec
2014 Honda CR-V Toad, Roadmaster -5 Base and tow bar
SMI Stay and Play Duo Brake system

TonyDtorch

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2017, 07:58:47 AM »
If you have a good laundromat at a campground then it's nice to just do 2 large loads of laundry.

If someone has gotten busy forgotten their laundry in a machine...I'm more than happy to help them, I'll unload it.

But ...I would rather buy new clothes,  than have to go to some city laundromat and hang with Homies.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 08:01:43 AM by TonyDtorch »

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Following the warm weather!
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2017, 08:08:55 AM »
We had a coach awhile back with a Splendide combo w/d onboard and used it all the time, only going to a laundromat for large items like quilts. We soon learned from other's experience how to avoid wrinkled clothes, the best soaps, etc. We even used the same w/d in our cottage after we remodeled the coach for a buyer that needed the space. The w/d served us well for a number of years there until we built an addition that had space for full sized separates. Now we use laundromats most of the time, either in parks or outside, depending on availability. At most of our regular repeat stops, we're familiar enough with the area to know the best laundromat choices and hours to minimize the time needed to catch up on our laundry. There are advantages to being able to use multiple machines at the same time, but we do miss having our onboard machine.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2017, 08:26:23 AM »
We have stacked washer and dryer, and they're great--in fact, we had the dealer install them, since the coach didn't originally come with them--and we're nowhere near full time, but DW is extremely pleased with them.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL, Bounder, Beaver
  de N8GGG

SMR

• ---
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2017, 11:46:58 AM »
like Larry we have the stacked washer and dryer and DW loves them. we don't want to spend the time going to a laundromat and who knows what was washed before you...... we had the combo in the MH- the staked lets us get more wash done and vibration is not that bad at all.
I think to each their own. JMHO
Gonna put the world away for a minute......
Steve
2016 Bighorn 3760 EL
2015 Ford F350
me, DW and Mattie dog

kg4rpc

• ---
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2017, 12:38:29 PM »
Thanks everyone for your input, the folks on this forum are so helpful  :)

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2017, 02:57:53 PM »
If you have the washer/dryer combo, you can still decide to use the laundromat if its faster or more convenient or whatever. If you don't have it, then...

What you give up is space, about 2.5'x2.5' x 4'H of floor space that would otherwise probably be a hanging closet or drawers. The weight is about 200 bs, not really significant in any RV large enough to carry one in the first place. Whether that space usage is major loss or a good use depends on the RV floor plan and your needs.

I know folks who wouldn't use a laundromat on a bet, while others use them happily all the time. And all sorts in between. Your call...
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 02:59:40 PM by Gary RV_Wizard »
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2017, 03:07:01 PM »
You would have to pry Tara’s cold dead hands off her Splendide.

Yep!  And we're not full timers.  In addition to all the other Laundromat negatives previously mentioned, there's the problem of trying to find one in a strange town (as opposed to being parked for a month).  But I always say, if you could see some of the things I've seen in Laundromats, you'd never set foot in another one.  Dogs on folding tables, dirty diapers in washing machines, people smoking over my clean clothes, to name a few.  Ugh!  Need I say more?

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

RedandSilver

• ---
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2017, 05:56:38 PM »
We soon learned from other's experience how to avoid wrinkled clothes, the best soaps, etc.

Care to share what you learned?
2002 Rexhall Rose Air  Cummins 8.3  350hp
West MI Summer   Central FL Winter

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2017, 06:24:43 PM »
I think my wife settled on Tide HE based on others recommendations. The wrinkle issue was pretty much resolved by removing the clothes after the wash cycle and folding them before returning them for the dry cycle. If it's a really full load, only half of the load was dried at a time. Those tips came from other Splendide combo users...
Dutch

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2017, 06:37:49 PM »
Care to share what you learned?

Small loads. Dry on low heat. For items you’re concerned about wrinkling pull items out slightly damp and hang. Biggest thing is small loads.
Scott

TonyDtorch

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2017, 06:56:39 PM »
if you could see some of the things I've seen in Laundromats, you'd never set foot in another one.  Dogs on folding tables, dirty diapers in washing machines, people smoking over my clean clothes, to name a few.  Ugh!  Need I say more?

ArdraF

That's the same one I went to !   ;)

FastEagle

• ---
    • Down the roads with us
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2017, 07:24:56 PM »
We fulltimed for nearly 5 years. Full time is a very broad statement meaning different things to different people. Our longest period of non movement during those years was 2-3 months at various southern states during the winter months. The rest of the year we were seldom stopped for more than 10 days.

When we purchased our fulltime unit - a 38’ fiver - we opted for an A/C upgrade to 15K so we could add a washer/dryer combo rather than a 2nd A/C. The location for our vented combo, pictured below,  is on the lower level a little forward of the axles so not much was added to the hitch weight.

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=19889

It takes awhile to get used to the smallish load size and some adjustments on how to get the best results. We washed a minimum of one load a day, every day. When stopping for a night or two the combo is going by the time I had the trailer level and hooked-up for the stay. We can run the combo and A/C on 30 amps but not much more. When on 50 amps it’s a snap. Of course the hair dryer or microwave can cause a trip to the circuit breaker.

Of course we were not traveling for adventures in living off the land or in some parking lot. With two boys we did enough of that in our growing-up years. Fulltime was for our enjoyment, we just pointed the rig and went. Traveled in all the lower 48 and 5 CDN provinces. From Bar Harbor to the Golden Gate. Or, 1000 Islands to the Everglades. Or, Rawlings to Key West. Maybe even Salt Lake to Brownsville via San Diego and El Paso.   
USN RET (PDRL)
DOD RET Journeyman Aircraft Mechanic
SSA RET
http://fasteaglervparking.blogspot.com/

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2017, 07:55:16 PM »
That's the same one I went to !   ;)

Our preference is for laundromats with enforced rules and on-site staff. We usually look for places that are part of a dry cleaners or fluff and fold laundry that have good ratings.
Dutch

Alaskansnowbirds

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2017, 09:12:20 PM »
We have stacked washer and dryer, and they're great--in fact, we had the dealer install them, since the coach didn't originally come with them--and we're nowhere near full time, but DW is extremely pleased with them.

Larry, on the stacked units in a 50amp coach, is the dryer 220? I've often wondered but never asked anyone that had a stacked unit.
Don & Peg
Alaska/Arizona
Currently located here.
Weather at Camp Verde, AZ.

jsetti

• ---
  • Tranquility On the Move IV
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2017, 08:36:56 AM »
Best part about having a washer and dryer in our motorhome is ...

Got up this morning, put in a load of wash, reading my email in my jammies (I know, too much information) while laundry is getting done.  Before I'm ready to go for the day laundry is done.
Jean Corsetti
Full-Timer with DH Steve and
Fur Babies Annie & Max
2010 Monaco Diplomat 42SKQ

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2017, 08:47:29 AM »
put in a load of wash, reading my email in my jammies Before I'm ready to go for the day laundry is done.

A wash and dry in ours takes a couple hours or more - you must get more mail than we do  ;)
Scott

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2017, 08:49:00 AM »
Larry, on the stacked units in a 50amp coach, is the dryer 220? I've often wondered but never asked anyone that had a stacked unit.

It's 120V, Don. There's no 220V anywhere in the coach, to the best of my knowledge. Even on the Bounder 33U I had, the rough-ins had a 120V jack.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL, Bounder, Beaver
  de N8GGG

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2017, 09:18:43 AM »

Don,
Both 120v and 220v are used, depending on year/make/model of RV.  Most are 120v, but 220v is becoming more common as all-electric coaches increase in popularity.  Nearly all dryers are designed to operate either way, depending on what pigtail is wired to it. They simply do not provide as much heat on 120v power.

Many 50A RVs use an electrical load center design that does not even accommodate 220/240v breakers, even though the shore cord delivers both to the RV.

Luxury grade, bus-chassis coaches such as Marathon and Newell have utilized 220v appliances for many years, but few other models offered it until recently.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 09:21:10 AM by Gary RV_Wizard »
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

TonyDtorch

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2017, 10:17:04 AM »
Our preference is for laundromats with enforced rules and on-site staff. We usually look for places that are part of a dry cleaners or fluff and fold laundry that have good ratings.

There are areas of California where it's necessary read/speak Spanish to understand those ratings.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 10:21:36 AM by TonyDtorch »