Toad capacity of a class III or IV hitch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Super8mm

I am looking at Class A DP's and am wondering what class of hitch is required to tow my 2011 GMC 2500HD?

I know Blue Ox has a 10,000 bar that fits a 2" receiver like the  Class III and IV have.

Thanks

No rocket science needed here. What does it weigh?

A Class A DP is normally equipped with a 2" receiver rated for either 10,000 lb or 15,000 lbs, depending on the specific chassis configuration.

Thanks Gary

The stickers say the curb weight is between 6200 lbs and 7020 lbs.

all I see hitches rated at is tongue weight which does not apply much when towing 4 down.

The coach I am looking at has a GCWR of 36,000 which I will be about 3,000 lbs under.

all I see hitches rated at is tongue weight which does not apply much when towing 4 down.

Every hitch should have two numbers, tongue weight and weight pulled. Both of those apply to the hitch (or receiver) itself but may be downgraded if the method of attachment to the vehicle chassis is less than the hitch rating. Generally, use the chassis GCWR (combined vehicle and tow) weight as the limit.  You can tow the difference between the coach GVWR and the GCWR unless the receiver or related equipment is rated less. Since a DP chassis usually comes from the chassis factory with the receiver already in place, the chassis GCWR already reflects the receiver rating. You need worry only about the tow bar or ball coupler that you add to it.

Back
Top Bottom