Lost my bookmarks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roy M

I downloaded the latest and greatest Firefox 25.0 and lost my bookmarks. I have tried logging into each site I use and bookmarking the link but no joy, I can't find them. The file is empty. What am I doing wrong?

What you are doing wrong is using Firefox. With Chrome your bookmarks are stored in the cloud and can never get lost. When I get a new Chromebook I log on and the whole computer looks exactly like it did in the old Chromebook. All my bookmarks, contacts and other stuff is never lost. A lot of people don't like having things in the cloud but the amount of time it saves me is priceless.

SeilerBird said:
What you are doing wrong is using Firefox. With Chrome your bookmarks are stored in the cloud and can never get lost. When I get a new Chromebook I log on and the whole computer looks exactly like it did in the old Chromebook. All my bookmarks, contacts and other stuff is never lost. A lot of people don't like having things in the cloud but the amount of time it saves me is priceless.
FireFox uses Xmarks and AFAIK, works the same way. I use many different computers and all have the same bookmarks. And you can also go back and restore old bookmarks.

-Don-  Needles, CA

Tom, I have been quite happy with Firefox. Don, I want to restore my old bookmarks but have not figured out how to do that.
UPDATE: I came home, turned on the 'puter and the toolbar was right where it was supposed to be. Darned computers, we don't get along well at all.

Roy M said:
Tom, I have been quite happy with Firefox. Don, I want to restore my old bookmarks but have not figured out how to do that.
UPDATE: I came home, turned on the 'puter and the toolbar was right where it was supposed to be. Darned computers, we don't get along well at all.
Toolbar or just bookmarks? If toolbar, perhaps you hit F11.  And I think that is a default when you update. That F11 will toggle the menu bar (with your bookmarks) off and on. Press F11 a couple of times and see if that was your problem.

-Don-  Needles, CA

DonTom said:
Toolbar or just bookmarks? If toolbar, perhaps you hit F11.  And I think that is a default when you update. That F11 will toggle the menu bar (with your bookmarks) off and on. Press F11 a couple of times and see if that was your problem.

-Don-  Needles, CA

F11 on my Lenovo decreases the brightness of the screen. F12 increases the brightness.

I did the Firefox update yesterday.  I don't have a bunch of bookmarks, but the ones I did have are still up in the upper right corner behind an icon that looks like books on a shelf.
I clicked that, which brought up a drop down menu.  Clicked the "bookmarks" link and there they were.

Rene T said:
F11 on my Lenovo decreases the brightness of the screen. F12 increases the brightness.
Even if you do  NOT touch the Fn key?  Function F11 & F12, (but NOT F11) changes my brightness here. Prses only the F11 key.

-Don-  Needles, CA

My Firefox appears to have been updated to V57.0 overnight. The bookmarks are all in place but the line across the top containing the URL etc. was all re-arranged. Mine was somewhat customized prior to that, but, for the most part, I was able to re-customize it to my liking.

There are some items added that I have little use for such as Page Actions, Save to Pocket, Bookmark Page and Enter Reader View that, it seems, cannot be moved or removed using the customization procedures.

Other than the re-arrangement that annoyed the heck out of me, all appears to work as before.

Press the <alt> key and your shortcuts with appear in a drop down from the menu bar.  In exactly the same way Internet Explorer has done for years.

Chrome causes me nothing but problems.  In my volunteer gig we get dozens of calls a day to re-install chrome because of failed updates, crashes etc.  Sometimes it just completely uninstalls itself for no known reason. Not a chrome fan here.

I advise people to use Firefox because it works better.  I have never had to reinstall Firefox.  Not once in 8 years there.

Some of the Cisco administration stuff I do requires I.E. or Edge and that is the only time I use either one of them.

Been using FF for years.  Faster than IE, and less problems for me.  Only crashed on me one time, and it was my fault for not paying attention to something I downloaded.
Only time I use IE is for one insurance company web site that won't let me pay my bill on-line except through IE.

Back
Top Bottom