Propane leak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeilerBird

I bought this fiver in March and I immediately refilled the two propane tanks. When I went to get them refilled the second time I was turned down because the tanks were too old. So I decided to use one of the small rental tanks. But the left hand thread using a crescent wrench act got old quick so I decided to replace that with the quick disconnect hose and add a pressure gauge while I was at it. So this is what I got:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LWW85M0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IF77VNE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The first tank worked just fine and so did the second tank, but I could detect a slight whiff of propane when I opened the storage door to the tanks. Both tanks lasted about a month. I replaced the tank again on November 1st and 12 days later it was empty. The only propane I used during that time period was a few showers. No cooking, no refer. The propane is obviously leaking out at the new fittings. I thought that maybe it needed some gaskets so I went to a hardware store and they told me I don't need gaskets. So does anyone have a clue as to why the propane would leak out?

First step is to slobber some soapy water on the connections and figure out where its leaking (look for the bubbles). Or if you prefer, buy a bottle of the oily liquid they sell for gas leak detection.

Thank you Gary for stating the obvious. I have no brains therefore I get no headaches. I even have a bottle of bubbly stuff in the propane compartment. I hooked it back up and the gauge read zero even though it was a new tank. So my guess is now the gauge is defective. I have an RV mobile mechanic showing up tomorrow for other problems so I will have him look at it. Thanks Gary. ;)

Note that LP pressure gauges basically have two readings - full or empty. There is very little to differentiate between those levels, i.e. the gas vapor pressure in the tank remains more or less the same until it is empty.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Note that LP pressure gauges basically have two readings - full or empty. There is very little to differentiate between those levels, i.e. the gas vapor pressure in the tank remains more or less the same until it is empty.
Yep, I only bought it to determine if the tank was empty or not. I do not care about knowing exactly how much propane I have left. It told me it was empty and I think it still had propane in it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom