Can't find OBDII connector - 1999 Dolphin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WA6CAL

The dreaded check engine light has decided to illuminate.  I go to the garage and get my trusty Bosch scanner to look at the codes.  Crawl under the driver side dash where the connector would typically be located in passenger vehicles.  No joy.  Get bright flashlight and peer into every likely crevice.  Nada.  Any help????  Gotta be here somewhere......

TIA - Joe

What engine? Is it possible it?s obd1? Ford f53 used 460 obd1 through 1997. Maybe they didn?t get around to building motor home until mid-late 1998 and titled as 1999.

My OBD2 connector is way up on the right side of the steering cover took me some time to find it. Sometimes you may feel it before ya see it. Good luck...

It should be adjacent to the steering column (by law?). On a diesel it may be on the firewall at the back of the rig.

Ernie

The engine is a Ford V10.  Thanks for the inputs.  Will resume the search today.

Well I finally found it.  On the right side steering column up under the cover.  The connector is pointing up at about a 45 degree angle which accounts for why I could not see it with a mirror.  Also there is a plastic cap over it which made it difficult to locate by touch.  What a hassle for such a simple thing.  Good news is the check engine light went out of its own accord!

Cheers - Joe

A couple of years ago I bought a Delphi OBD tracking device that plugs into the OBD connector from Verizon.

I struggled for a couple of days trying to find the connector.  I finally found out that my and maybe most diesels do not use it the OBD port but rather have a plug in diagnostic port, (mine is back by the engine).

I ended up using the tracker on one of my Jeeps.

Since you do have the connector you might consider also using the "Delphi or the later version called the "Hum".

You get all kinds of information from it, but the best feature is real time tracking of your vehicle if it is stolen.

That is why I bought it in the first place, Don't ask why,,sad story.

WA6CAL said:
Well I finally found it.  On the right side steering column up under the cover.  The connector is pointing up at about a 45 degree angle which accounts for why I could not see it with a mirror.  Also there is a plastic cap over it which made it difficult to locate by touch.  What a hassle for such a simple thing.  Good news is the check engine light went out of its own accord!

Cheers - Joe

If you look closely, Ford supplied a loop of extra cable on the port so the body manufacturer could move it to a more accessible location as stated in the Ford Body Builders Manual. Not all RV manufacturers do it obviously. I moved mine to a convenient spot on the steering column cover.

WA6CAL said:
Well I finally found it.  On the right side steering column up under the cover.  The connector is pointing up at about a 45 degree angle which accounts for why I could not see it with a mirror.  Also there is a plastic cap over it which made it difficult to locate by touch.  What a hassle for such a simple thing.  Good news is the check engine light went out of its own accord!Cheers - Joe
I got a code in this RV while and  erased it while driving.  Mine was a PO160 (O2 sensor). The code never came back. Next time I get the same code, I will replace that 02 sensor.

You might want to consider a ScanGauge11  for your RV, now that you found the connector.  That's what I have connected to this RV at all times.

73, -Don- AA6GA/7 (look for me on 40 m CW).

Lake Havasu City, AZ

DonTom said:
I got a code in this RV while and  erased it while driving.  Mine was a PO160 (O2 sensor). The code never came back. Next time I get the same code, I will replace that 02 sensor.

You might want to consider a ScanGauge11  for your RV, now that you found the connector.  That's what I have connected to this RV at all times.

73, -Don- AA6GA/7 (look for me on 40 m CW).

Lake Havasu City, AZ

I'd suggest NOT replacing the O2 sensor. First clean your MAF. 

Fought O2 sensor problem a couple years ago. Based on forum advice I changed fuel filter and O2 sensor which didn't help. Cleaned the MAF sensor and the problem was solved.

The O2 sensor detects poor combustion which is controlled by the Mass Air Flow sensor.  Once the MAF is clean the engine gets the proper fuel to air mixture and all is well.

O2 sensor about $100 with the correct tool to remove it.

Can of MAf cleaner $10.

Arch Hoagland said:
I'd suggest NOT replacing the O2 sensor. First clean your MAF. 

Fought O2 sensor problem a couple years ago. Based on forum advice I changed fuel filter and O2 sensor which didn't help. Cleaned the MAF sensor and the problem was solved.

The O2 sensor detects poor combustion which is controlled by the Mass Air Flow sensor.  Once the MAF is clean the engine gets the proper fuel to air mixture and all is well.

O2 sensor about $100 with the correct tool to remove it.

Can of MAf cleaner $10.
A dirty MAF sensor will set a OBD2 code of P0100 to P0104.  Not P0160.

BTW, I have had the MAF sensor codes in the past. Cleaned the MAF  and that code never returned.  IIRC, this same RV had PO102 several years ago.

Never guess why a check engine light is on.  Read the code or a lot of time will be wasted.

-Don-  Lake Havasu City, AZ

Back
Top Bottom