Another dumb question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

William52

Last night the lights would dim for a few minutes and then brightened up normal we had a few times she would not crank , no tick nada. I had already checked to convertor a few days ago and was good. I go do a look at the batts and one (that had went low on water) was gassing so bad i could see it. So turned my Aux. disconnect off. I know that Batt. is BAD. Question is should I switch from my Main and Aux or leave both on when on shore power? I have one Main #31 and two DC #24's I plan on replacing both Aux #24 now and the Main asap. 

I agree.. if the battery is gassing something fierce (sounds like a shorted cell to me) dump it (Disconnect) till you can replace.

NOTE: If it is one of a six volt pair REPLACE BOTH OF THEM the short could be in the other battery but in any case it is damaged.

Ernie n Tara said:
I'd disconnect the defective battery!

Ernie
  It was at night and dark so i used the disconnect switch I will replace both asap (same age) Can i wait a week Costco is 90 miles away. After i disconnected i had no more dimming of lights. I may go 6 volt? if cables will reach?

Up date checked Voltage 8.9(all three batt's) not good disconnected suspect/shorted batt and voltage took a few minutes to recover to 13.2 So converter seems ok. Can i wait till next week to replace both Aux. batts? Thinking i should be ok...

Well, you can't disconnect just one 6v battery - they have to be in pairs to produce 12v.

If you have 3 batteries, I'm guessing that one is 12v (engine starting) and the two for the house are a pair of 6v in series. So which did you disconnect?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom