Cleaning stains from a rubber roof

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

[email protected]

I've read a lot about cleaning rubber roofs.  Some say use chlorine, other say not to.  My fifth wheel was parked for a week under a bunch of trees and it rained quite a bit, and we now have stains from leaves, pine needles and the like that didn't come off with just a regular soap cleaning.  I am getting the feeling this is a well discussed issue, but I'm not understanding really.  I understand there are chemicals in some of the cleaners/stain removers sold by various camping stores, so I'm looking for someone who has some experience with stain removal that can give me some suggestions.  Any information will be greatly appreciated!!!

I've read a lot about cleaning rubber roofs.  Some say use chlorine, other say not to.  My fifth wheel was parked for a week under a bunch of trees and it rained quite a bit, and we now have stains from leaves, pine needles and the like that didn't come off with just a regular soap cleaning.  I am getting the feeling this is a well discussed issue, but I'm not understanding really.  I understand there are chemicals in some of the cleaners/stain removers sold by various camping stores, so I'm looking for someone who has some experience with stain removal that can give me some suggestions.  Any information will be greatly appreciated!!!

A strong mixture of bleach and water will do it. Also add some liquid detergent with the bleach. Some members use Spic and Span.

I always used Dawn and a couple cups of bleach in a one gallon sprayer, scrub brush on a handle on my rubber roofs. I always had a lot of mold on the roof from where I had to park them. I ended up cutting a lot more branches from the trees to get some more sun on them. Don't really know what was worse on the roof, the sun or the mold. I still use the mixture on my fiberglass roof to clean it with.

We have the stain issues from parking under trees. I have used every imaginable cleaner that would not damage the material. NONE have worked, including bleach mixtures. So I have given up since it can't be seen from street level. I do wash the roof once a month or so as needed and now use only Dawn. Other than when I climb up to wash it, No one ever sees it. Chuck

I clean mine 3 or 4 times a year with bleach, Dawn, and hot water.  After 16 years it still look 95% of new.  It's NEVER been stored under cover.

I would clean the roof at least once per year, perhaps twice and not worry so much about making it perfect.  The only reason in my mind to clean the roof is to better inspect the roof and any joints for possible needed attention.  Otherwise cosmetic wise, like others have said you will likely be the only one to see it.  As to what to use, there have been some good suggestions in the posts above.  The only thing I would say about bleach is I asked the manufacturer of my rig what they recommend and I asked about a bleach solution.  There response suggested avoiding bleach or at least a mild solution and recommended a household detergent or dishwashing liquid.

wackymac said:
I clean mine 3 or 4 times a year with bleach, Dawn, and hot water.  After 16 years it still look 95% of new.  It's NEVER been stored under cover.

Do you often park it under trees for any length of time? Chuck

I use Spic and Span on my 12 plus year old roof.. So far no damage.

Some stains you got to just ignore  Thankfully my long term parking job was NOT under trees.. I am doubly thankful because while I was Stuck there many trees fell down nearby.. but none in the Campground because there were none in the campground to start with. 

One of the many myths of RVing is that rubber roofs are very vulnerable. That's true enough if you are talking punctures and scrapes, but the material itself is very durable and not much bothered by chemicals except those containing large amounts of  "petroleum distillates".  If used excessively, those can dissolve the adhesives that hold the thing together.  You can use household detergents and bleaches all day long without worry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom