Front cover for generator on a motorhome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mtn.Mike

I have a 2004 Holiday Rambler Endeavor and just noticed that the front cover for the generator was out of alignment so I attempted to tighten the screws that hold the cover on.
I discovered that under the fiberglass they had used wood and the wood was rotten.
I only have one solid screw and the others are removable by hand.
How can I attach the screws without drilling and running carriage bolts to the outside of the cover which will then show from outside?

I sort of ran into this on the engine cover on my boat.
I used fiberglass resin & micro balloons and made a thick paste with it. Then started building up the rotted area with the paste. I'd let it set up good and solid, then sand it down, build it up some more, sand. Keep repeating till I got it to where I could "mold" it with sandpaper, then did whatever screws or fasteners I needed to do into the fiberglass. The micro balloons and resin sand really easy.

Strip away the rotted would and epoxy new wood in place of it. Use an exterior grade plywood or treated plank. I would paint or otherwise seal it after installation as well, and put a bead of caulk on the top edge so that water doesn't trickle down between it and the fiberglass.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom