replacing the power converter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikeylikesit

well, now that I've located and ID'd it........  ::)

I currently have the parallax 7455 converter/charger.......and I'm wondering if I should replace it "like for like" with another 55amp charger, or would it be acceptable to upsize to a 60amp?

My gut is telling me no, wire size is probably the factor, but as I've said, this RV thing and the systems are a bit new to me.

looking at

Boondocker BD1255C (55 Amp 4-Stage Converter/Charger)

thanks!

I replaced my 55 amp charger with a 60 amp unit and have no problems. Neither unit charges at max amps for more than a couple of minutes.

I replaced my old noisy Magnetek 50 amp with Progressive PD9260, wire size was no problem with mine. The PD9260 fully charged my batteries in 24 hours. My old one never did fully charge my batteries, it only put out 12.5 volts and very noisy when doing so. I had several people walk by my coach and asked what it that noise? Good thing that thing was in a basement bay, but it could still be heard inside the coach right after the slides were deployed. I like the PD9260 because you can tell what mode it is in with a glance, flashing green light on the pendulum.

A good rule for things like this is 10% is nothing.. In fact tolerance is often 20%

So yes you can replace a 55 amp with a 50 or 60 no problem No wire changes needed. IF you need to make any change at all it will be a fuse or circuit breaker.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom