Firefox V57.0 "upgrade"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

John Canfield

Site Team
I realize there's another thread that discusses some FF issues but this one is specifically about the 57.0 "upgrade."

Mozilla did it again, we have a new release of FF and it broke several of my extensions and there are no replacements. They intentionally stopped supporting a video feature that I used to use when looking at my surveillance videos a couple of releases ago but I used Chrome for that application.

Broken extensions:

JSOff - turns off Java scripting (I use this to avoid annoying popovers that want you to sign up to view content)
Flash control - stop the annoying Flash based videos
BBcodeXtra - using this is the easiest way to make a link in most forums by highlighting words and right clicking

I would move completely to Chrome but they don't have the rich set of add-ons (extensions) FF does. So I downgraded to 56.02 (64 bit) and life is good again.

I downloaded FF about a year ago, but have never used it. So far Chrome has done all I need it to.  But you do a lot more Web stuff than I do.

Like you John, I have downgraded to 56.0.2 and that seemed to restore most of my add-on's and resurrected the URL menu line. I did not realize until your note that many of my extensions were dumped.  Now to find out how to prevent another automatic upgrade!!

Thanks for this post which made me realize that a downgrade was possible.

All my extensions worked with 57, but I suspect that those that stopped working will get updated soon (unless the owner has abandoned them, which happens).

The performance improvement in 57 is dramatic!

Gary RV_Wizard said:
All my extensions worked with 57, but I suspect that those that stopped working will get updated soon (unless the owner has abandoned them, which happens).

The performance improvement in 57 is dramatic!

No sure the term I used, "dumped", was correct. I found them all in a "legacy" folder but it seemed to me they were not working properly AFIK. After installing V56 they are still marked "legacy'  in the listings, all but "view page in IE" appear to be working. That may be the fault of windows though, I have not needed to use it in a long time.

Some legacy extensions can't/won't work with FF57 (Mozilla audits them to determine which ones), and they get disabled. If you click Tools|Add-ons you'll see which ones have been deactivated. There's also a button to find an alternative/replacement.

For me it was TabMix Plus, and none of the alternatives do the same things. The TMP author has said he can do a complete rewrite, but needs help.

The fun just never stops around here. I have a fairly new Dell XPS13 laptop running W10 and it just updated - a "major" update or whatever it said.

Update finished and I went to use my Dell USB-C dongle (provides Ethernet, HDMI and a regular USB port) and now that's broken. We have a USB driver problem - Windows now doesn't recognize the device.  :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

But wait, there's more. I've been off and on a large project to completely overhaul and update my network connectivity at the ranch (several outbuildings) with Ubiquiti UniFi Mesh and I was ready to to start the cutover this morning. And dummy me I didn't write down the login/password for the UniFi controller which is how every device is controlled and configured. Even the saved logins from Firefox wouldn't work. Good grief.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

John - I was forced to use my Windows machine for some scanning and it had to update first. Took well over three hours and the computer still runs like crap. I am sure glad I don't use Windows everyday. My Chromebook is a million times better.

I quit updating FF at 54.0.1. If Chrome had the feature set and available add-ons that I prefer, I'd quite willingly switch. As it is, I'll be looking at other alternatives to see if I can find a good fit for me. Hmmm, I haven't looked at Opera or Safari lately, and there's a new browser called "Midori" I've heard some good things about...

SeilerBird said:
John - I was forced to use my Windows machine for some scanning and it had to update first. Took well over three hours and the computer still runs like crap. I am sure glad I don't use Windows everyday. My Chromebook is a million times better.
Windows 10 can be super fast as long as the hardware is fast. I rebuilt my tower for the coach with a fast 7th gen Intel i7 cpu and installed W10 on a fast SSD. The PC will literally boot in about 4 or 5 seconds. It's now the best PC I have out of.. I lost count  ;)

I've been a Linux fanboy for 20 years and tried to move to it for my primary box years ago but the rich suite of apps isn't there like they are for a Mac or Windows.

Dutch - there ya' go. FF for all of its problems has a bunch of 3rd party support. I haven't played with Opera for years, I should check it out and the others you mentioned.

I gave up on FF at about V 28 or 29 and switch to Chrome.  I've never looked back.  Every update with FF would screw something up on my home computer and I finally just grew tired of messing with it.  I've got Chrome on my home computer, Nexus 6P phone, tablet, and my Microsoft Surface Pro.  Everybody is happy.....including me.

Have given up on FF. now use Chrome..
Of course mostly I use a Chrome BOOK instead of a Windows for Internet stuff. Cleaner, Faster, Better

Still use the Dozer for a bunch of other stuff though.

John Canfield said:
I realize there's another thread that discusses some FF issues but this one is specifically about the 57.0 "upgrade."

Mozilla did it again, we have a new release of FF and it broke several of my extensions and there are no replacements. They intentionally stopped supporting a video feature that I used to use when looking at my surveillance videos a couple of releases ago but I used Chrome for that application.

Broken extensions:

JSOff - turns off Java scripting (I use this to avoid annoying popovers that want you to sign up to view content)
Flash control - stop the annoying Flash based videos
BBcodeXtra - using this is the easiest way to make a link in most forums by highlighting words and right clicking

I would move completely to Chrome but they don't have the rich set of add-ons (extensions) FF does. So I downgraded to 56.02 (64 bit) and life is good again.

I never take any updates until I check what is changed.  Found out FF 57 upgrade was is a complete NEW browser called Firefox Optima.  I side loaded on my PC using the "portable install" capability so I could keep my fully functional FF and all my extensions intact.  Been using Optima now for a week and totally impressed with its speed and response but 2 or 3 of my extensions won't run on it yet. So I have my regular FF ready to fall back when I need to use those extensions.  Unfortunate no clear warning was given and no way to stop the nuisance notification that I can find concerning a new update is available.  Hopefully you can reinstall the version of FF you had your extensions all working on

Chrome books are great if you only use the computer for internet browsing. Those of us who have other computing needs don't have that option.  I use the Chrome browser on my phone and tablets, though.

I decided I wanted to study some foreign language today so I came to this thread......lol  Just kidding folks but while we have two or three laptops and a PC in the house, neither of us are very savvy in computer operation.  Actually, the wife is the one with the most patience and usually gets my laptop straightened out when I lead it off track.  But thanks for this thread I have learned some things before I try to update the FF.  I use Chrome on my laptop and she uses FF with Win10.  I still have Win8 because I missed the period for the free UG but have no regrets because I like the Chrome better than FF.  Will download 57 and see what mayhem I can cause. 

Bill

decaturbob said:
... Unfortunate no clear warning was given and no way to stop the nuisance notification that I can find concerning a new update is available.  Hopefully you can reinstall the version of FF you had your extensions all working on
You can turn that off in FF options.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Chrome books are great if you only use the computer for internet browsing. Those of us who have other computing needs don't have that option.  I use the Chrome browser on my phone and tablets, though.
The idea with the Chromebook was to basically use the device like a bisync terminal connected to a mainframe - everything is located on the "mainframe" or cloud with the Chromebook. Like you, I need more capability.

Bill - I'm a retired professional geek, I used to make a good living talking gibberish  :D

xrated said:
I gave up on FF at about V 28 or 29 and switch to Chrome.  I've never looked back.  Every update with FF would screw something up on my home computer and I finally just grew tired of messing with it.  I've got Chrome on my home computer, Nexus 6P phone, tablet, and my Microsoft Surface Pro.  Everybody is happy.....including me.
:)) :)) I use chrome on my home computer, phone and tablet. But mostly use safari on my tablet.

Another user of Chrome on a tablet, but I just use the tablet as a consumption (reading) device, and a laptop PC with FF for other stuff. I almost never do any browsing from my phone, and it has whatever browser came with the phone.

I use Opera with Duck-Duck-Go, has a VPN and been doing well over the last 2 years! I even use it on this old 2009 MacBook Air! Getting so sick of Microsoft and their 3-6 hr. updates and  forced Upgrades. The Fall Creator Upgrade Version 1709 has many problems!

Tom said:
For me it was TabMix Plus, and none of the alternatives do the same things. The TMP author has said he can do a complete rewrite, but needs help.

Tom

I miss TMP very much. If you find something that works, please let me know. I had read that the TMP author wasn't going to do an update, but maybe he, or someone else, will get encouraged to do so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom