Firefox V57.0 "upgrade"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hadn't looked at Opera for several years, so I installed last night for a test drive. I'm slowly bending it to my will, and I will say I'm impressed with it so far. Finding an add-on that let me add a permanently displayed left column bookmark list was a big step forward, overcoming a limitation that's turned me off on a couple of other browsers. I also found an add-on that will let me install Chrome add-ons as well as the Opera specific ones, so that should add a bit more versatility. Now to figure out a bottom status bar that will display the weather, etc... :)

[quote author=BernieD]If you find something that works, please let me know.[/quote]

Bernie, it might be time to go back to VA  ;D

I haven't spent much time looking for alternatives to TMP, other than trying one out and reading the blurb on the others that are listed Under Legacy Extensions|TMP|Find a replacement.

NY_Dutch said:
... I also found an add-on that will let me install Chrome add-ons as well as the Opera specific ones, so that should add a bit more versatility. Now to figure out a bottom status bar that will display the weather, etc... :)
Is there AdBlock or something similar for Opera?

And here we go again with crash and burn at the ranch. DW has a Dell XPS13 notebook almost identical to mine and it was her turn for the Windows 10 upgrade that was pushed to my XPS13 yesterday (that broke my Dell USB-C dongle). Her "upgrade" started, let's see... about five hours ago and we still have the rotating circle of death.  :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I give up, I'm going to watch football  :p.

Opera has a "native" ad and pop-up blocker built in, and there are add-ons that enhance it. I have't investigated all the possibilities yet though, so I won't make any recommendations.

John Canfield said:
You can turn that off in FF options.
The idea with the Chromebook was to basically use the device like a bisync terminal connected to a mainframe - everything is located on the "mainframe" or cloud with the Chromebook. Like you, I need more capability.

Bill - I'm a retired professional geek, I used to make a good living talking gibberish  :D

Where is the option to turn off upgrade notification the only options I see concerning updates is to never to check for updates.  I just don't want to have notification that an update exist

I haven't tested it yet, but Never Check for Updates should mean there will be no notifications. If that doesn't work, there is probably a way to shut that down completely. Enter about:config in the browser bar and look at the list of app.update.xxxx preferences.

If I'm still getting notifications I'll start playing with the app.update group of preferences.

Check out the Brave web browser here: https://brave.com/. Have been using it for a year and love it. Safe, fast and free.

Tom said:
Bernie, it might be time to go back to VA  ;D

Tom

I still have it on one of our old computers and Marlene misses it very much :) Looked it up recently and a current usable version on W-10 isn't available.

Bernie, in case someone thinks I'm telling you to return to Virginia, I should explain that VA = Virtual Access, one of a genre of software apps known as an offline reader (aka OLR). In the day, OLRs were the most efficient way to interface with forums that used Compuserve/AOL's HMI (host-micro interface). I thought we'd never wean Bernie off VA  ;D

Looked it up recently and a current usable version on W-10 isn't available.

Coincidentally, I've been trying to resurrect the OzWin OLR to look at a backup of our prior database.

Fixed (my) typo; OLR = offline reader i.e. messages were downloaded and read offline, minimizing both the Compuserve/AOL charges and expensive cell minutes.

I'm coming to hate FF 57.0, mainly the tab handling. Time to look for an alternative. Meanwhile, I don't see the touted speed/performance improvement, but see lots of dancing dots that blame the respective web sites for slowing things down  ???

Tom said:
Bernie, in case someone thinks I'm telling you to return to Virginia, I should explain that VA = Virtual Access, ...
I thought it had something to do with the Veteran's Administration  8).

I'm guessing there will be a V57.01 (or V57.1) released soon but I'm not playing unless the old add-ons work. I think the developers really screwed up big time with their later releases.

[quote author=Tom]I'm coming to hate FF 57.0, mainly the tab handling. Time to look for an alternative. Meanwhile, I don't see the touted speed/performance improvement, but see lots of dancing dots that blame the respective web sites for slowing things down  ??? [/quote]

I've reluctantly switched from FF to Opera. Haven't used it for years, but it's so much faster than FF57.0 and doesn't sit saying it's waiting for 'slow' web pages to load; Those same pages load instantly in Opera. The default tab handling in O is much more intuitive.

Being a long-time FF user, I didn't think I'd be saying this, but it looks like it might be bye bye FF. I haven't fine tuned all the preferences/settings in Opera, and there are a few things I haven't yet figured out. Meanwhile, has anyone figured out how to replace the page(s) of large icons on the bookmarks page with a list tree? The latter would make it faster to get to/click my bookmarks. I see the Bookmarks Bar in O, but I don't want to have to re-build anything, given that I imported everything from FF. TIA.

Tom, try installing the "V7 Bookmarks" extension. That works well for me. I've also found "User-Agent Switcher" useful when I run into a site that says it only supports IE, FF, and Chrome. Opera is Chrome based, so I just change the User-Agent to one of the supported versions and the site is happy.

John Canfield said:
Update finished and I went to use my Dell USB-C dongle (provides Ethernet, HDMI and a regular USB port) and now that's broken. We have a USB driver problem - Windows now doesn't recognize the device.  :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

John, I have an ethernet dongle on my desktop which I also had a problem with after I updated. I simply unplugged it and plugged it back in and it started working again. It took me 3 restarts to get the update to finish and get several of my programs back. I have an ASUS laptop which I may not let update until I see this latest update is working properly.

Just tried my dongle and it's still not recognized, I'll try rebooting the laptop a couple of times. I did look for a driver but no joy.

Tom - interesting that Opera is so much faster, now you've piqued my interest.

[quote author=John Canfield]Tom - interesting that Opera is so much faster, now you've piqued my interest.
[/quote]

John, just for clarification, that's Opera v FF 57.0. Earlier versions of FF were fine. There are numerous complaints online of FF 57.0 being a slug, and many of it freezing and locking up.

Roger that Tom, I'd like to be a fly on the wall listening to the Mozilla developers chat about their dud.

So, one success. I uninstalled the dongle and plugged it back in and it's working again. I was doing some reading about this dongle and it's been the subject of many discussions and complaints but the driver is from Microsoft. Go figure. ::)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom