Firefox V57.0 "upgrade"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tom said:
V7 Bookmarks seems to do what I needed.

I tried several other Opera and Chrome extensions before I got to V7, Tom, and as you said, it seems to do what we both needed. I'd really like to find something like FF's bottom status bar for Opera, but no luck so far. That's not a deal killer though...

[quote author=John Canfield]I'd like to be a fly on the wall listening to the Mozilla developers chat about their dud.[/quote]

Will they know who defected to other browsers?

Tom said:
Will they know who defected to other browsers?
Yes if they are running analytics like Google or Piwick on their server - type of browser, operating system and many other tidbits are collected and reported. I'll bet there's an Internet resource somewhere that also reports on browser use.

Yes if they are running analytics like Google or Piwick on their server - type of browser, operating system and many other tidbits are collected and reported.

For a download server, they'll record the fact that I downloaded 57.0 once, but it tells them nothing about the fact that I'm actually using Opera  ??? OTOH it's possible that Google gives/sells them data collected from web servers I visit, telling them actual usage.

When I used to look at Piwick analytics running on my server, every time a page was viewed that was a 'hit' for data collection. So they can look at data collected on https://www.mozilla.org indicating what browser was used for the page view. It's sort of a 'back door' for evaluation.  Maybe five years ago, IE was more popular (no surprise) but their use was on a downward trend, I think FF was number two but I forgot. Chrome, Safari, Opera brought up the bottom of the list. If I can figure out how to get back into Piwick  :p, I'll post some stats.

Ah yes, summary/generic stats that get reported/sold would give the overall picture. I rarely look at that level of detail on our server, unless I'm trying to track something down. Our forum stats are a very small sample of the overall picture. Original comment withdrawn.

I was trying to install FF 5.7 today, and it was just behaving strangely.
Within asking, it imported an old IE bookmarks file, and I could never get it to correctly import my Chrome book marks. Even after de-installing, and installing again. Finally dumped it. Back to Chrome.

I may try Opera, again.

Thanks Dutch. Haven't visited W3Schools in a long time. Those stats are for visits to their site, and they're assuming that these stats can be extrapolated to all browser users on visits to all sites. But it's still interesting reading.

Curiosity made me look in the Firefox (Mozilla) support forum to see what's happening. No surprise that there were lots of "too slow" and "hanging/freezing" reports, with many more "me too" replies. Their support folks suggest a number of things to help identify &/or fix the issue, and a number of folks feel they shouldn't have to jump through hoops. I decided to try one easy-to-do suggestion:

In Menu|Tools|Options|Privacy and Security|Permissions check the box to Prevent accessibility services from accessing your browser. By gosh, things speed up! This doesn't help with the tabs issue.

Back
Top Bottom