charging rv batteries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nibroc

batts show 12.54v---fairly new walmart marine/rv batts--been disconnected 2 months-- need to know how long I should charge 'em

Depends on what you are charging them with.  A 200 amp charger, 10 minutes, a 2 amp charger, 2 days.  Most chargers have auto-shut-off.  For me, I'd put that on 10 amp charge for 6-8 hrs.

I use a Battery Tender whenever they are not in use. It is best to keep them fully charged and I believe a float type charger is best. I take mine into the garage in the cold NE weather during the winter and just disconnect during the nicer weather.
It also depends on when you need them charged or are you just asking a general question. As spencerpj stated times will vary based on charger amperage.

I have a 2500 onan generator--the travel trailer is stored for the winter w/o house current--plan is to charge batts every cpl. months--also there is a batt disconnect which I will cut the juice from the batts when stored--I know I could disconnect the batts and bring 'em down to the house and put 'em on a tender-- wondering how long I should leave 'em on chg.

Two suggestions: (Well 3 but only two for today.. the 3rd is for later)
First if your RV has a good 3-stage converter... Plug it in  If And tomorrow you will be charged. A good 3 stage job  like a Progresssive Dynamics wizard controlled.. No reason to unplug just leave it on full time.. Mine lasted 12.5 years.

If you do not have a good 3-stage or if you are on the bench..  When my 9180 died it was Sunday and getting those puppies up was .. Well important.. So I headed to the local Auto Zone (closest discount auto stuff shop) and picked up a really nice Deltran Battery Tender PLUS.. PLUS boost,, PLUS jump start

This sucker can deliver 1-2 amps in "Tender mode" (leave it plugged in forever)
20 amps (Battery boost... takes 'em up to 14.1 and then shuts off.. I am not sure if it then defaults to "Tend" or if you need to reset it

Or 70 amps for jump starting.

WI-FI link to my Smart phone or Tablet to control the beast, or you can do it from the on-board panel

TOok me (over 500 amp hours and way too low on charge) about 24 hours to fill 'er up

Next day I drove to Tekonsha MI (about 12 miles from Marshall) and the day after I took car, and dead 9180, to Progressive dynamics.. Returned with Nice Refurb unit and installed it.. WORKS GREAT.

thanks john,martin and spencer for your replys--my converter is a magnetek 7300 model 7345 and that is how i am charging the batts with my generator and will have to do this off and on this winter

Unfortunately some of those Magnetek chargers are not really very good. You would be much better off taking the batteries out and putting them on either a battery tender or a 3 stage stand-alone charger at home and keeping an eye on the fluid in the batteries. These Magnetek units are well known for boiling off the fluids with their single stage charging systems.

thanks alpha--looks like i will bring the batts down to garage and put 'em on tender--I've learned a lot on this forum

A 3 stage converter isn't that expensive compared to taking the batteries in and out frequently. I just put one in my 5th wheel and leave it plugged in all the time. Check the water once in awhile. If you're interested I ended up with 2  so I have 1 for sale. Less that 1/2 price.

The OP stated he does not have without house current so therefore he has 2 choices 1) take the batteries out while in extended storage 2) take frequent trips to storage yard and charge them occasionally with his generator and battery charger.
It seems to me taking them home and storing in a less cold environment with a battery tender type float charger and reinstalling in the Spring.
My Battery takes less than a couple of minutes to remove/replace.

Yes, noobie, but have 2ct. No one has mentioned the obvious, solar. A basic 100w panel and a gypo Chinese controller will only charge to about 14.2 to 14.4, but it will do 4-5ish amps per hour whenever the sun's out. My set up with two panels will do 15v and about ten amps. Going to add another panel for 15a soon. HandyBob'sblog has some 'interesting' reading on solar. Hope some help was had.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom