RV repair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rsilvestrone

Hi ,everybody, i have 2006 class A Alfa, anybody know a good honest reasonable priced RV repair shop betweenStockton & Modesto to fix generator, it is running,just had belt changed, but now won't charge my batteries.Thanks for any info....Robert

Have you checked the battery bank with a multimeter before and while generator is running to determine if the gennie is producing current?>>>Dan

Before taking your motorhome to a repair shop, if you have some basic mechanical experience, there are some things you might look at, such as: house batteries, converter, fuse panel and battery disconnect switch. If your motorhome does not have an automatic transfer switch, is the shore power cord connected to the receptacle? it needs to be connected in order for the generator to send power to the motorhome. Also, find the converter and make sure it is getting power and that power is getting to the fuse panel.  With a multimeter, check the voltage at the house batteries with engine, generator and shore power.

One of the key things here is that the generator itself doesn't charge anything - all it does is provide 120v power to the coach electrical system, which includes a 12v converter/charger. It's that converter/charger that does the battery charging (your converter/charger is probably integrated with an inverter as well). If the 120v power outlets work and other 120v powered items are working, then your genset is fine.

Uh. Normally on an RV the generator does NOT charge ther batterries, at least not directly

The generator provides 120 VAC to the house, and the converter. (or the charger portion of an Inverter/Converter) charges the batteries.. Now in the latter case (And I think you have that) the inverter may be particular as to frequency and a few other things so plug a Kill-A-Watt into any live outlet that is NOT inverter powered and note voltage and frequency.  This is most likely your problem

NOTE  Outlet must NOT be inverter powered.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom