One mans idea of a "motorhome"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NCSU Dad

Good example if you are on a tight budget.

In my search for our first RV I saw this one on the Asheville NC craigslist. In case your interested.

"Pictures speak to this Beautiful wine colored Previa van that I converted into a self contained off grid camper. However, because of illness will not be able to travel. I have invested more than the asking price with complete mechanical work and conversion. Too much to list in this ad. Details available upon contacting me. Partial list includes all new: tires, plug and play 100 watt solar suitcase with 100 amp/hr solar deep cycle battery, roof tarp/shade rack, 7x20 tarp, 14 gal. fresh water storage, kitchen chuck box, bed with custom mattress, storage bins, stove, screens for sunroofs, reclining passenger seat, and much more. This van is in excellent condition and drives wonderfully! These vans will run 300,000 or more miles with proper maintenance. Serious inquires ONLY! Thank you."

Hmm I wonder if the container under the bed qualifies as a toilet?  :eek:

Attachments

• RV1.jpg
    RV1.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 215
  • RV2.jpg
    RV2.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 212
  • RV3.jpg
    RV3.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 195
  • RV4.jpg
    RV4.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 192
Looks like he was trying to copy these:  https://www.jucyusa.com/our-vehicles/jucy-mini-rv-rental/jucy-trailblazer/
Saw a ton of them around Northern AZ/Southern UT the last couple of years.

Someone told me there is a large group of people who are buying the new vans and converting them to Class B-like campers on their own.  Wouldn't be a bad thing for a week or so, but I'll stay with my Class A.

That must be fun for the passenger to be facing the rear all the time. They can see where they've been.  And where's the seat belt?

The box in the fourth picture looks very much like one dad built for the station wagon in the 50's. Mom sewed a tea towel into compartments for cutlery, it was fastened to the drop  down door. The setup worked very well for us.

Although not a motorhome, in the late 60's-early 70's we had one of the original tent trailers, no electric, no water, no toilet, all canvas tent top. My wife took several woodworking classes at the local high school and made a box for dishes and cutlery that was carried on the trailer tongue, not unlike the box in picture 4. Very useful. Don't know why, but we still have that box and the stuff in it in the garage but the trailer is long gone (40+ years ago!!)

(The "no brand name" trailer itself had been made especially as temporary housing for Expo67 visitors held in Montreal. We had dragged it from New Jersey to Prince Edward Island and many, many places in between over the years along with a big dog and 4 kids.)

Those Prieva "vans" are virtually indestructible. One co-worker has one with over 520K miles currently on it. Original engine and transmission. Key to Toyota transmission life is frequent fluid changes. He changes the fluid every 10K along with the engine oil. The one in the pic is very nice looking.

Charles
2007 Winnebago View 523H on a 2006 Dodge (Daimler-Chrysler aka Mercedes) Sprinter 3500 chassis (T1N). Bought Sept 2015 with 18K miles on it, Prog Ind HW30C, Prog Dymanics PD4645, Coleman Chill Grille, PML/Yourcovers.com deep alum trans pan, AutoMeter 8558 trans temp gauge, Roadmaster sway bar, Koni Red shocks (front & rear), Fantastic Ultra Breeze hood, added OEM parabolic mirrors and RH aspherical mirror, MB grill conversion.

Those vans are parked all over the streets of California....they're calling them " Stealth Campers" .

Back
Top Bottom